Question About Steering Wheel

I have a question about my steering wheel. Twice in the last 3 months when I started my car I found when I touched the steering wheel I had to push it toward me. Maybe it is before I turned on the ignition. Then it was fine. Most of the time it does not do this. The car is three years old and is a GM Sunflower. Has anyone else had similar experiences and what do you think is causing it? Is it a sign of something more serious with the steering wheel?

Reply to
Peter Heichelheim

Please define "push it towards me" Do you mean you had to turn or wiggle the steering wheel in order to turn the ignition switch.? That can be due to the parking pawl being in a bind. Not uncommon.

Reply to
Kevin

Reply to
Peter Heichelheim

When I touched the steering wheel it seemed loose and I automatically pushed it forward and then steering wheel was locked, i.e. I could not push it back. Then I put on the ignition. Please give more details what you mean by the "parking pawl being in a bind". Is it something that should be fixed. Thank you for your reply.

Reply to
Peter Heichelheim

If your steering wheel is moving backward and forward, you have some serious issues. I would tow the car to the dealer to have it looked at. If it is a broken tilt mechanism, it could be about to fail so the steering wheel falls in your lap or sets off the air bag or jams so it can't turn or who knows.

The key lock pawl only locks up the steering from turning right and left which can bind up the key from easy movement.

Mike

Mike Romain

There have been some GM steering wheel issues in the older cars for a long time and they are well known. It has to do with loosening of the bolts or screws.

I don't know if this might be what you are seeing.

It is not immediately dangerous if this is the case, but doesn't take much to repair either.

Now, echoing what others have said, you don't want to let issues like this go unaddressed. What we might think is a relatively minor irritational problem could be more serious.

Reply to
<HLS

I guess I should have said steering wheel locking pawl. That is a pin which slips into a grove to prevent the steering wheel from turning when the ignition key is in the lock position. That pin is moved by turning the lock cylinder with the ignition key. Sometimes, depending on where you park, (for instance, with the tires butted up tight against a curb) the tires may cause the steering wheel to bind tightly against that locking pin. When that happens all you have to do is turn the steering wheel by hand to relieve the pressure on the locking pin and the ignition switch will then turn easily. I'm not sure from your comments if that is the problem you are experiencing. It is difficult to get a clear picture of your concern from your use of words to describe the problem. Perhaps you could elaborate some.

Reply to
Kevin

Thank you all for your advice. I now know what is going on. I spoke to my wife and brother-in-law and found out the steering wheel could be in two positions. It locks in the position I use but but if I touch the tilt wheel lever it moves to the other position. Then when I touch the steering wheel it doesn't lock and I push it back to its original position. Probably when I left or entered the car I accidently touched the lever and when I went I entered the car to drive it when I touched the steering wheel it moved back to its original position. So there is nothing wrong with the steering wheel and I am relieved.

Reply to
Peter Heichelheim