Ignition is locked

Drove the car into the parking lot, turned it off, took out the key. Went back the next day - key won't turn the ignition. Steering is locked. It's like somebody switched keys (impossible since all three keys in the family won't turn the ignition). Steering wheel is locked, car in park, can't move it.

Reply to
momcat21

Turn the steering wheel, then turn the key

Reply to
Tj

imho:

Might have to rock(giggle) the stearing wheel back and forth while operating the key.

hth,

tom @

tom

Hi, I believe that you will find this a very repeated topic if you were to search this forum. Anyways, that is a common "feature" of the Saturn ignition column. When in park, the column locks itself and requires turning the steering wheel in order to free the lock cylinder. This is some sort of safety feature, I had once been told that this is for anti-theft and also helps if the car is parked on a hill.

No worries, wiggle or turn the sterring wheel if this occurs, then the key will turn. marx404

Reply to
marx404

Typically you have to "rock" the steering wheel back and forth on mine also and I figured out why. When I turn off the ignition, the wheel is not really locked until you move it abit for the lock pawl to fall into the groove.

Then I noticed that when I get out of the car, I pull myself out using the steering wheel moving it to a locked position. But now it has stress on it because the PS is not working with the engine being off. Needless to say, you must release the tension before the key will turn when starting the car the next time.

Now for the bad news... the lock cylinders in the early Saturns are notorius for going bad. I know, I had to replace mine once I got it towed home. Actually my key got stuck in the cylinder and wouldn't let me turn it either way or come out.

It is a tricky repair, but not impossible. James

Reply to
James1549

I am going to go in a little bit of direction and say it is a worn key. My '00 LS1 would wear the key down very quickly so that the key would go in but you would realyy jiggle and play with it before it would ingage. Try a different key and if that is the issue then get a new key made from the master if you have one.

Reply to
Saturn

Ouch, I'm sure through the tow you were cussing up a storm, or atleast I would be. ;)

later,

tom @

tom

We tried three different keys -- none of them work, so it's not a worn key. Also tried jiggling the steering wheel -- several attempts -- nothing. Looks like we've got to have it towed. Thanks for all the help--wish we had an easy answer.

Reply to
momcat21

I've had a similar problem in another vehicle and have managed to get by for a couple years by removing and re-lubricating the lock assembly from the vehicle. The funny thing is you need to be able to turn the key to remove the cylinder on my Chrysler which has had this problem. I learned that you can take a small hammer and tap on the key a bit and if you turn while doing it then it will unlock. Once I've gotten it disassembled and lubricated it usually has worked fine for the next 9-12 months but when cold weather comes it gets stuck again. I know I need to break down and buy another cylinder, but the want $300 to "key" it to my VIN from the dealer so I have been delaying...

Maybe this procedure can help you on the Saturn.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

You may have to do more than just 'jiggle' the steering wheel. If there is any pressure loaded on the wheel, you may have to put a good amount of force into moving the steering wheel while trying to move the key.

Ken

Reply to
Napalm Heart

I had this happen to me a few years back on a Ford. The lock had actually failed and wouldn't turn when I put either of my keys in. (My daily key was somewhat worn, but my spare was still nearly new.) I just called a mobile locksmith and he brought a blank key and a file and filed down the inside of the old lock until it would turn with the blank. Once it turned, he popped it right out and popped in a new lock cylinder. The whole process only took a few minutes and wasn't very expensive and I didn't have to call a tow truck.

-DanD

Reply to
Dan Duncan

nothing.

These locks fail constantly. The most common symptom is the key will get trapped in the ACC position and won't turn either way or come out. This situation requires a replacement cylinder. If it just won't turn, I'd suspect a bent tumbler, which would most likely not require a new cylinder.

Solution: You should call out a reputable Automotive locksmith to fix the problem. You save a tow and get back on the road in a flash (if he is any good). And I guarantee you it will cost less than the dealer or an unexperienced mechanic.

Reply to
block

I have a slightly different issue - the key will not come out. Except for the very hottest days, my ignition key kas been stuck in the ignition for 7 years. Everything else works fine, I use the key on my key chain to unlock the door. On the very hottest days of the year the key will wiggle a little more (or maybe it chirps at me -don't remember exactly) so I give it a little extra pull and it comes out.

My original cylinder worked fine until I took it in at 35 months to get some pre end of warranty service. After 4 hours I asked what in the world was wrong with my poor-still-under-warranty car. They said they were done long ago but when the pulled it out of the service bay and parked it for me to pick up the key broke off. So they had to replaced the cylinder with one that worked fine for about a year. I've had it back to the dealer several times and told them that the key was stuck but they never suggested doing anything and I never asked for anything. Ron 94 SL-1 108,000

Reply to
Ron Herfurth

I do not know if you drive a Standard or an Automatic. If it is an Automatic, the shifter has to be in park to remove the key. Therefore, there is an electrical/mechanical interlock that releases the key. If the switch at the shifter is bad or more likely the wire that sends the signal is disconnected, then the key will never come out. All of the cables in the steering column have to be hooked up and properly strain relieved or they will come apart when the covering is put back on. I know some people in the Saturn Dealerships are extremely careless about the work they do first hand!

Hope this helps, Frank 95SL1, 96SW2

Reply to
leaf