R134a adapters for gauge set?

Anyone using the screw-on adapters to use a R12 manifold with R134a? Are they worth it, or is it better to buy complete hoses?

Reply to
clifto

Better to buy a different set and manifold. Less chance of contamination that way.

Reply to
Steve W.

I priced adaptors and they were around $35. Instead I bought an entire 134a gauge set on ebay for a little over $40.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Doesn't sound too sturdy; how's it holding up?

Reply to
clifto

Fine. My R-12 set was also a $40ish ebay purchase 4 years ago and it's still fine too.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

The reason I'm suspicious is that I got my current gauge set from a friend who gave me his least expensive unit while disparaging gauge sets that only cost a hundred. He said he paid about $200 for the one he gave me. His "good" one was $350. (Then again, that was a few years back.)

Found the adapters at a NAPA today for about $25; they wanted about $70 for a Robinair hose set. They sell a complete brass manifold with hoses for $99. A Carquest quoted me nearly $100 for three hoses alone; the drone behind the counter was incredulous when I started walking away, even though I had just said I could buy a whole gauge set for that. Advance has an Interdynamics hose set for $40; I might settle for these if I can't find better.

Reply to
clifto