Radial Pull on New Car?

Have a new Expedition with 900 miles on it. Truck pulls to the right slightly. Dealer said the alignment was dead on, and it maybe radial pull. Is this possible on new tires?

Reply to
sonofabitchsky

Mike Walsh

Yes

Reply to
dahpater

eliminate pull you might need tires that are the same size and brand and have the same amount of tread and inflation pressure. With only 900 miles this should not be a problem. Try switching tires. If you switch front to rear the pull should disappear. If you switch the front tires left to right you might make it pull in the opposite direction. If you can narrow the problem down to one tire it could be because of a defective tire e.g. a bad belt.

Thanks. I will try this.

Reply to
sonofabitchsky

This is very possible and probably more common than you may think. Swap the tires across the front. If it pulls the other way, one or both of them have a mislocated belt.

I have an older (now) F150 that had that ptoblem right from the start. The dealer spent a fortune replacing tires, laser frame alignment, drilling and replacing frame rivits, replacing the steering gear and who knows how many alignment mods with no success. I kep trying to tell them it was heat sensitive. It did not do this until I had driven a mile or so or used the brakes. Ford eve offered to buy the truck back a couple of times. The problem went away when I replaced the brake calipers at almost 50K miles. Haven't had it since. It was a cheap fix after all Ford paid under warranty without replacing them.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

Yes. Some tires are good, some bad. One on my car pulls pretty bad and in 6 months there is little tread left while the others are like new. Swap them around and see if the pull follows the tires.

Reply to
PauL

May I ask, what kind of tires came with this vehicle?

Reply to
<HLS

of course It's also possible the dealer lied about the alignment. I'd rotate the tires first, then take it to an independent shop.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

I swapped the front right to the front left and it pulls exactly as it did before. That would indicate the alignment is the culprit I assume.

The tires are Continental Contitrac TR 17"

Reply to
sonofabitchsky

If it isn't the brakes, tire pressure, yea. Have it checked by someone else. Preferrable by an alignment shop that people recommed. Tell them that your having a problem and you would like it as close to the recommeded specs as possible. Ask them for a before and after print out also. If their any good, they'll show and explain everything to ya. If they don't want to, don't have them do it.

Reply to
dahpater

That is the way I would read it, unless you have some brake drag or other reason it would pull to the right. With only 900 miles, that would not ordinarily be a problem.

I tend to doubt the good will of the dealership (but, then, what else is new)

Reply to
<HLS