Re: 1995 Grand Marquis Door Repair

Have 'em up here too - but how do I open the sucker without destroying the door panels?

Regards,

Marv

KiloDelate wrote:

> >>How do I get into the driver's side door panel on a 1995 Grand Marquis? >>The strap-type handle has broken off and it looks like a real PITA to >>remove the door panel to see what has to be replaced. Ford Service >>probably wants $750 - $1000 to fix it. >> >>Any ideas? >> >> > > > Canabalize from a junkyard. Hell, I'd imagine if you go down to Florida > there's plenty of 1995 Grand Marquis wrecks to experiment on. >
Reply to
Marv Soloff

Are you having problems dealing with removing the edges of the panels themselves, or the armrests and other stuff attached to the panels?

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Kanter

From my past experience with Ford vehicles, they simply used a pop-out fastener that you can get for short money at a Ford dealer. Start in a lower corner of the door and pull. It's just a ridged fastener that goes in easily but is destroyed most of the time when you pull it out.

And there are probably two bolts under the arm rest.

That should be enough to get the panel off.

Reply to
KiloDelate

TNX - will try it as soon as it gets cooler here.

Regards,

Marv

KiloDelate wrote:

Reply to
Marv Soloff

The aforementioned plastic snaps don't necessarily self-destruct when removed. If you want to remove them the best way, ask your mechanic when the local Snap-On, Mack or Matco tool dealer comes around each week. They all sell a pry tool specifically made for removing the fasteners. If you still end up breaking one, be sure to move the good ones to the front of the door panel, leaving unfastened spots near the bottom-rear. This way, you can reinstall the panel except for the bottom-rear corner and run to the auto supply for more snaps. That corner is the easiest to reach, even if all the door accessories have been reinstalled at that point.

Do NOT try removing your panel when it's very cold.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

TNX - good advice.

Regards,

Marv

Doug Kanter wrote:

Reply to
Marv Soloff

you are getting incorrect advice from other posters. grand marquis of this vintage do not use friction clips. and if you try to remove the door panel with a prybar or similar tool, you will damage the door panel beyond repair.

you might try a web serach for further > TNX - good advice.

Reply to
usenetid

just remove a couple of screws and lift entire panel off shell.

Reply to
Rondo

Exactly which screws?

Regards,

Marv

R> just remove a couple of screws and lift entire panel off shell.

Reply to
Marv Soloff

should b one in lower carpeted part of panel. might be one behind the reflector and 2 on armrest and behind electric control panel. i'm used to the police cv's, the gm's are slightly different, but remove the same.

Reply to
Rondo

Hi, Mary. If the car is not a really cream puff that DEMANDS an original fix, you can buy an aftermarket, similar replacement from Auto Zone or Advance Auto Parts or maybe Pep Boys--it will look different from other side, but will bolt on from the exterior of the panel plus will be as functional as original. HTH & good luck. sdlomi

Reply to
sdlomi

Tnx! Did not know the bolt on existed. Will check it out.

Regards,

Marv

sdlomi wrote:

Reply to