Re: absorbed too many shocks?

87 dodge aries. pretty good shape, considering; only 80K miles.

> belongs to little old lady who only uses it to drive to the crack > house. anyway, i'm driving it on a city street and suddenly smell > burning rubber. i know what comes next; pow. right rear tire has > blown; the cause is.... the shock absorber has come apart, and the > bigger diameter dust shield cylinder on the top half has canted > sideways and the edge has gouged out the inner sidewall. > > on further inspection, nothing has actually broken; the rod coming > down from the top shock absorber mount through that upper dust shield > piece isn't broken off, it ends with the chamfer at the end of the > threads, all intact. apparently the inside movable part of the actual > shock absorber body, the bottom half, has just unscrewed itself from > the rod, which has now popped out of the shock absorber body. > > not sure if this is the original factory shock or not, or who the > manufacturer might be; all i can make out is that it says "premium gas > shock absorber" on it. i assume that means it was a replacement as I > assume the factory shock doesn't announce itself. whatever it is, i'm > pretty sure it's more likely to be sears brand or equivalent than Koni > or equivalent. > > so how often does this sort of thing happen?

As long as your shock mounts are ok I wouldn't worry about it. Just get a new shock. The shock has probably been on there a while. With the words "premium gas shock" on it-it's probably a cheaper brand.

Reply to
CEG

I've never had a shock do that. I had one get all screwed up inside so the parts inside were rubbing but it never came apart.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher