Re: Air conditioning vs DRL

This has been a longstanding pet peeve of mine. Lots of drivers here don't turn on any lights under any circumstances...they forget, or just don't give a damn. These are dangerous.
People who have DRLs that don't illuminate the taillights are dangerous too..They may think they are safe and protected, but are very dangerous when you come upon them from behind in rain, etc.
I use my headlight switch, unless - like the objects of my complaints - I forget. Seldom, but it happens.
My wife's car has automatic fulltime running lights ( that include taillights,etc). I have nothing to complain about this car and its lighting.
Mileage, in either case, is so infinitesimally less with lights on that it really doesn't make any difference.
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.nix wrote:

My biggest peeve with DRLs (other than piss poor implementations like Saturn's) is the inability to turn the lights OFF. When entering a gov't installation with a military guard, they don't really like it when you don't go to parking lights when approaching the guard shack.
nate
Yup...some base guards get pretty touchy. Don't those cars have a parking light setting??? My Volvo's do.
John S. wrote:

My GTI didn't until I bought a euro-spec headlight switch.
nate
--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
John S. wrote:

yes, but they are available stateside from several aftermarket VW parts vendors. Drop right in and also give you a rear fog light position as well should you choose to enable it.
nate
--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Most agree that, using the current DRL technology, the amount of gasoline used annually wuld be approximately 450,000,000 to 600,000,000 gallons of gasoline in the USA alone. Not a huge amount compared to the total consumed, but still a sizeable number. Remember, DRLs consume between 55-110 watts per vehicle. AND the method that electrical energy is generated isn't particularly efficient (significant losses)

Insurance loss data seems to indicate that there is no benefit. Given that (and if true), then that means that they are a waste by definition.

"Most agree that, using the current DRL technology, the amount of gasoline used annually wuld be approximately 450,000,000 to 600,000,000 gallons of gasoline in the USA alone."
JS> Uuuuhhh...who be dis "Most" fellah anyway - he musta had a purty big hat to pull such a number outa. And dat Most fellah gots to subtract both the cost of injuries caused by not having DRL's on and the lost income of those injured or killed (especially those killed). John tinks dat Most fellah gonna be plenty busy figgerin up a way ta come up with a meaningful number.
John tinks dat if mos drivers started using more fuel efficnent cars that would be a far more effective way of truly making a dent in in out huge fuel bill.

Can you cite a source for this? 55-110 watts is approximately 0.07-0.14 horsepower electrical equivalent. For a nominal 280 HP engine, this is something like 0.025 to 0.05% of the rough fuel economy. Not much per individual, but would amount to a few gallons of petrol per year.

that
Again would you please cite your sources. I have not seen clear and unequivocal data, particularly under American driving conditions.
James C. Reeves wrote:

www.mpi.mb.ca - Manitoba public insurance has their rate calcluator online.
1989 Beretta - basic coverage - $1,129 1991 Beretta - basic coverage - $1,129 The 91 has mandatory DRLs. Apparently MPI doesn't think there is any savings with them.

online.
They sure dont value them enough to pass along an incentive, do they?
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.nix wrote:

I contacted them via email and will pass along their response...
fwiw, they don't value immobilizers much either... I have a 2001 Trans Am... they were going to offer me $35/year discount. The car is close to $2000 a year to insure... and the immobilizer was $500... some deal.
Ray

Since vehicle design is aimed at producing cars that someone with the average intelligence of an 8 year old can drive, I don't see this as that big a task for a computer program.
The better solution is to just run DRL's

Or why not just keep all lights, head and tail, on all day and all night as long as the car is running? Since we need cars to be drivable by clinical moron-grade intelligence, this just takes one more switch that will confuse them out of the loop.
Ted