Re: Auty tranny 100K service: flush or not, new filter or not?

My 98 Dodge Grand Caravan (3.0L V6) has just over 100K miles on it. I

>figure it's time to change the tranny fluid, since I never have. It >has no leaks and I've had no trouble with it at all. This is just >preventative. > >I'm no mechanic, so I'm going to take it somewhere to have it done. >Places I've called fall into two camps: > >1. Flush the whole thing with new fluid. Leave the old filter in. >This supposedly removes all the old fluid, and basically cleans the >filter as well. Not dropping the pan means no chance to introduce new >leaks. > >or > >2. Drop the pan, replace the filter and pan gasket, and drain the old >fluid. This leaves about a gallon of old fluid in the torque >converter. Put in new fluid. These people say that this is how Dodge >has recommended trannies be done for years, before flush machines were >invented. > >So which would you do? 1? 2? 1, AND a new filter? We're planning on >driving this thing for a few more years, so I'm willing to spend a few >extra $$ to get more life out of this transmission down the road. >
Reply to
JimV

Don't flush it unless you want to buy a new tranny. That evacuation process can distribute contaminents thruout the entire tranny.

Drop pan, replace fluid and filter and do it again in 10kmi then every

20-30k mi after that.
Reply to
davefr

Option 2, no question. Since the history of the car may not be known, repeat #2 again fairly soon (say, 15k miles) and then at the recommended "severe service" intervals thereafter.

Reply to
Steve