'93 Aerostar. Idles up and down until warm.

1993 Aerostar 3.0 liter. Runs like a champ, but idles up and down when you first start it up. After it warms up, things are fine. PCV valve has recently been replaced. Before I really get my hands dirty, what should I look for first?

TIA.

Reply to
Kruse

A buddy of mine has a '93 Aerostar with the 3.0l, and he had the exact same symptoms. It turned out to be a defective IAC (Idle Air Control) valve. Make sure of your diagnosis before replacing it, though.

Reply to
olsonm

|Kruse wrote: |> 1993 Aerostar 3.0 liter. |> Runs like a champ, but idles up and down when you first start it up. After it |> warms up, things are fine. PCV valve has recently been replaced. Before I |> really get my hands dirty, what should I look for first? | |A buddy of mine has a '93 Aerostar with the 3.0l, and he had the exact |same symptoms. It turned out to be a defective IAC (Idle Air Control) |valve. Make sure of your diagnosis before replacing it, though.

I had this problem with a '93 5.0. 2 things fixed it:

There was an air leak in the rubber hose between the air filter and the throttle body. Once that was sealed it was much better.

Pulled off the IAC valve (2 bolts) and blew it out with brake cleaner. Resealed and installed. Now the problem is all but gone.

Reply to
Rex B