2.4 1998 Grand AM Tranny Service.. Flush or Filter?

Hello,

I am getting my Tranny Serviced at a Dealer as long as my car is in getting a new water pump (Damn thing is driven off the timing chain beleive it or not).. Yes I know Dealers are usually expensive, but my local dealer seams to be the only one that gets my repairs right the first time.

He is going to drop the pan and change the fluid. He also offers a flush, but he claims that changing the filter is the way to go. Now if you talk to a quick lube, they will tell you flushing is the best.. Maybe having both done is the best.. Those people at the quickie lube also tried telling me it flushes backwards to clean the filter.. That sounds like a load of BS because I beleive the tranny actually pulls in the new fluid from its own suction..

I understand not all the fluid from the Torque converter gets changes when you just drop the pan.

Did I make a bad choice in letting the dealer change the filter VS having it flushed? I guess I could just get a flush on my next oil change to get all the fluid..

Jeff

Reply to
Jeffrae

How many miles on the Grand Am? If the fluid appears to fairly clean and red then I wouldn't flush but if you have over 60K miles then I would just to make sure. I am curious as to what the others will say since I need to have my tranny fluid serviced as well.

Reply to
vince

I have 100K on the vehicle.. Had the tranny flushed at 50. This time I had the filter changed...

The service tech told me the filter and pan looked good.. The fluid was still really clean and not burned.

Thanks, Jeff P.

Reply to
Jeffrae

I have heard that you should NOT change the tranny fluid & filter if it never was changed and it has over 75k on it. Mark

Reply to
Mark

I have also heard that as the grit is what keeps the unserviced tranny going sometimes.. My Fluid was changed at 50k now it has 100k so I had it serviced again. The mechanic told me that the pan was clean.. No shavings.. Nothing was stuck to the magnet..

Thanks, Jeff

Reply to
Jeffrae