Re: HELP: Car Overheats !!

Clem, Thanks for your response.

I realize that you can't wait for it to cool when it's red-lined. But if you > turn the a/c on does the temp ever get out of hand?

Yes, if the car is running hot and I turn on the AC, which in turn switches on the fan, even then the temperature doesn't go down. It keeps rising.

Now... if the fan running still doesn't cool your engine, then I'd go with > the thermostat change.

Is it normal for the car to overheat so bad that even the fan running cannot cool it. Could this signal a problem in addition to the bad sensor/thermostat ?

Thanks!!

> Thanks to all those replied. Based on the responses, can I assume that > > for the symptoms that my car is showing, its not a radiator problem. > > Can I rule out replacing a radiator or a radiator flush ? The problem > > could be a bad fan relay, coolant temperature sensor, thermostat ?? > > > Sounds like you got it. :) It's interesting that when the fan IS running > (With a/c on) it still does not cool the engine. > > I realize that you can't wait for it to cool when it's red-lined. But if you > turn the a/c on does the temp ever get out of hand? > > I bet you have a bad coolant switch. You called it a sensor... which would > have variable resistance output and is used to give the computer a reading, > or the gauge a reading. The cooling switch (for the fan) is just that. It > closes the switch to turn the fan on when it gets hot enough, and opens the > switch when it's cool enough. If your engine is overheating and the fan is > not running, something is wrong with this switch (since you've determined > that the fan does actually work) or the associated wires. > > Now... if the fan running still doesn't cool your engine, then I'd go with > the thermostat change.
Reply to
Mark

Thanks to all those who replied.

I took my car to a mechanic today. He took the circuit diagram of the electrical system and checked each and every wiring. He replaced the fan relay and coolant temperature sensor.

My AC condensor cooling fan was also bad, and I replaced that too. This was the reason why the car would get hot , if the fan was on and AC was on.

HOWEVER, after all this fix and a test drive, I saw that the temperature indicator fluctuates between the 1/2 and 2/3 range. The mechanic said that this could be because the sensor which is used by the dashboard indicator might be faulty. He said, he couldn't feel that the car was too hot, even when the indicator was showing max (just below red).

So he suggested that I drive the car for a few days. If the temperature fluctautes between 1/2 and 2/3 mark, I shouldn't worry. If it reaches max, then I take my car back to him.

Does this make sense? Could the sensor that gives the dashboard temperature indicator, be faulty. Is this sensor different from the sensor located on the radiator? Could I be getting a wrong reading, that is could the car not be really that hot as it seems ??

Thanks, Mark

Reply to
Mark

I can't believe its happening again !!

I have replaced the radiator fan, A/C condensor fan, fan relay, temperature sensor (located on the radiator) in addition to the timing belt, water pump and some hoses. I thought I had finally done everything to fix the overheating of the car ('94 Mazda Protege)

But now the car is overheating again. In the last 2 days, twice the temperature indicator went all the way up (just below red mark). Once the fan was working and the other time it was not working.

Please help !!!!!! What do I do now? What is it that could be the real cause of overheating.

Is it possible that the car may not be really overheating and the dashboard indicator may be faulty ? When the indicator is just below red mark, I see that there is no coolant boiling or steam coming out of the radiator. Would the coolant start boiling if the car was really hot ?

I am tired of spending $$ on fixing this, and still have the problem. Please help.