Re: Is "hazardous waste fee" a scam with new tires?

One other thing:

>Could I choose to use the tire (one of which was still in good >condition) to replace that little tiny spare tire they give you with >new cars these days? Unfortunately I didn't think of that until I >left, but wouldn't it be better to have a "good" big tire as a spare >than that little p.o.s. they put in the trunk with new cars?

If you have the proper rim, and room in the trunk where the spare goes, then yes it would have been a good idea to have a full size spare.

----------------- Alex __O _-\

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

|Used tires are only a 'problem' because the environuts insist |they are a 'problem.' For 70 years the worn tire tread got into |the environment and used tires were buried and that was that. |Now they accumulate because nobody including the environuts wants |a recycling plant IN THEIR BACK YARD.

They were burning shredded tires for fuel in a concrete plant in Midlothian TX for a while. Put so much smoke and particulate in the air the locals threw a fit. Which just proves that the technology isn't there to burn it efficiently.

|> So, just because it's unavoidable to have rubber dust come off tires as they |> wear, we should add insult to injury and bury tires in the landfill?

Fees/Taxes justified by unsound logic

|> the amount of tread that is worn off is much less than what's left after the |> tire is worn out.

Much of the carcass is steel.

Reply to
Rex B

Reply to
fmn2

Oh yeah it must be a scam because its related to the auto repair business.Well I guess the town I live in(and ALL of the other towns in my state) is cashing in on this "scam".Because if I want to drop off tires at the recycling center I have to pay the same fee that a shop would charge me.

(My turn)One other thing: I dont know what its like where you live but if you want to discard a tv,vcr,or a computer,you have to PAY to get rid of it.Surely this also must be the doings of the auto repair industry(those bastards!).

And what about freezers,refridgerators and a/c window units?Where I live one must PAY(theres that evil word again)to have a certified technician remove the freon and tag it stating that it is free of harmful substances that may or may not have an effect on the enviornment and or your health.No taggy,no picky uppy.Hell, the freon can be re-used so they should pay me instead,right?So I guess that must be a scam also.

People today are too quick to claim fraud,malice and injustice.Instead they should look further than the nose on their face and do a little thinking or research before they go and make slanderous implications.

The preceding is just my 2 cents,and in no way is this a personal attack on you Mr.Jimi.So please dont take this to heart and reply with some off the wall notion that I am somehow involved with this "possible scam" or that I am out to crucify you in any way shape or form.

PEACE, WOODY

Reply to
Woody

I wasn't able to be here when my septic system was installed . When I did come out to the new house, I saw 3 in chunks of old tires lying about. I called the company I hired to do the work, and apparently, it is common practice to use tire chunks (no wire) instead of gravel in the leech field. It seems my state (SC) sees no cause for concern with tire pollution as it was approved by a county inspector.

Reply to
Akacguy6161

As with new car buying, it's the "out the door" price that counts, nothing else.

Tire dealers typically charge for mounting, balancing, disposal, valve, and so on. Raising these prices allow them to advertise a lower tire price.

You should negotiate the price based >

Reply to
kgold

In this state the 'environmental' charge on a new tire is STATE LAW, and the shop has NO CHOICE about it. Law mandates how much to charge, when to charge, how to bill, everything. THE STATE GETS THE MONEY. The auto shop only gets the grief, usually from block heads who have no idea what laws are made or why.

Reply to
Art Welling