Re: Looking for an Embedded Micro with a J1850 BLDC Built-In

[Followups set to comp.arch.embedded.]

> >I've spent the entire day scouring the web for microcontrollers with a >built-in J1850 BLDC. Finding these chips is not difficult; finding one >that is still current, however, seems to be much more difficult. So >far promising-sounding ones like the MC68HC908AS20, the MC68HC912B32, >and the MPC5200 are either no longer being sold or are "not >recommended for new designs." > >Can anyone recommend a CURRENT chip, preferably one with an >inexpensive eval board and free/inexpensive development tools (this is >a hobby project, so cost is a big factor)?

Call your Freescale Semiconductor rep and ask what they are currently promoting. I think the MPCS65 and MPCS66 series should do what you want and they are pretty high-powered 32-bit devices.

I think if it's a hobby project there should be no reason not to use a product that is end-of-lifed. You aren't going to need to order a million of them.

I think also that if you were designing a production device, there might be a cost benefit in doing the J1850 stuff in software and bit-banging it. This would be absolutely hellish to program, but cheap.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey