Re: ON Topic: 88 Supra overheating...

I know there are techs in all three groups, hence the cross posting.... >

> The other day, the day it got clobbered by the storm, it was 96 degrees in > Keene NH. That's ~35 miles from home. Since it was nice I decided to take > the roof off the Supra and use it for my daily rounds. > > Everything was fine until about mile 27, and then I noticed the temp > climbing. By the time I got to my first stop it was almost to the red. > > It behaved the rest of the time in Keene, and then, about 27 miles later > it was heating up again. > > I opened the radiator and it was down about a quart, but the bottle was on > "low". I filled the radiator and let it sit for a couple rainy days. > > Today was bright and sunny and about 86 degrees, so, since the roof > doesn't *quite* fit as well after making like a kite it sits in the trunk, > and again the ~35 mile trip to Keene. 27 miles up the road...almost in the > red again. When I got to where I pick up my parts I let it cool and then > opened the hood, and in front of the radiator the shroud attached to the > bottom of the car was wet, and the overflow bottle was FULL. Spring a > leak? I patched one split in the plastic top a couple years ago, and it > had sprung again. When I filled it I did not add any to the bottle. > > It ran OK for the few stops I had, then back home...27 miles... > > When I got home I left the heat on and would start it, ramp the non > eletric fan up and shut it down. After about 1/2 an hour letting it sit, I > went out and gingerly removed the radiator cap. The cap was COOL! Again... > down about a quart in the readiator, but this time the bottle was full. > > I am guessing the radiator is plugged up. It is the original 22 year old > radiator, so I ordered a new one. From Toyota? HAH! Even though they last > +20 years, they are also FOUR HUNDRED AND EIGHTY SEVEN DOLLARS!!! > > SPI, $130. It may only last seven years, but then, how much longer will > the car last? (Although it is in pretty good shape...) > > BTW, I had the SAME THING happen to my '89 Subaru GL coupe, and after > replacing the radiator I don't even need the fan, the thing runs so cool. >

Replace the cap while you're at it.

Reply to
Ray O

Maybe your thermostat has gotten lazy... and is not allowing the engine to fully warm up. Test the thermostat. If need be, replace with OEM.

First heat wave of the season... climbing grades in NH... weak rads rear their ugly head. How many cycles of overheating did you put the car through? Maybe the head gasket has been compromised. Test to see if the head gasket is sound.

Reply to
M.A. Stewart

Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B wrote in news:dZFNn.21379$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe17.iad:

Yeah, but is it opening at a too-low pressure? If it is, the coolant will boil and spew all over the place. Bad juju, bwana...

Either a bad rad-cap, or you've got a blown head gasket. How's the stuff in the bottle smell? Rubbery? Or like paint-thinner?

You use /aftermarket/ rad caps? Eww, gross. OEM-only, for me.

Reply to
Tegger

Only two. This year. I had three episodes three years ago when the fan clutch went bad.

How do you test for a BHG?

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

A bad cap will open too soon so the cooling system doesn't maintain pressure, and if the cooling system doesn't maintain pressure, the boiling temp goes down, more coolant gets pushed out, air gets in, and temps rise.

A blown head gasket can allow combustion gases into the coolant, which pushes coolant out, and temps rise.

Look for oil in the coolant, either in the radiator or a milkshake appearance in the oil. Either symptom can indicate a BHG. If the coolant and oil are pristine, then you have a leak somewhere in the cooling system - radiator, hoses, cap, or heater core.

While you're poking around make sure coolant isn't weeping or leaking from the timing cover, a sign of a leaking water pump.

Reply to
Ray O

with open deck designs, like honda d-series for instance, you only occasionally get oil/water mixing. with open deck, leakage vents exhaust gas straight into the coolant. the only symptoms are bubbling, even when cold as it gets bad, and the coolant pH test. and latterly of course, blown hoses and catastrophic coolant loss.

Reply to
jim beam

Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B wrote in news:O6ZNn.39700$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe16.iad:

How's the stuff in the bottle/rad smell? Rubbery? Or like paint-thinner?

Reply to
Tegger

If you overheated it , whatever the original cause, you are LIKELY now looking at another head gasket - and be VERY sure you have the head checked for warpage when it is off. They are a fantastic engine, on the whole - but not terribly forgiving of massive overheating.

Reply to
clare

On the M series engine it is not uncommon for a blown head gasket to NOT show up as either oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil. The exhaust sniffer at the rad cap is a pretty good diagnostic - but make sure NO antifreeze gets into the sniffer - the dedicated test kits that check for combustion byproducts works quite well - but just putting the rad pressure tester on a warmed up engine and loading the engine will tell you FOR SURE. If the needle climbs quicly on an engine running at normal operating temperature, you have a combustion pressure leak - guaranteed.

Reply to
clare

Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B wrote in news:IxiOn.33028$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe24.iad:

Not a great idea. Leave it too long and you get corrosion and gas-cutting on the block surface,both of which will most likely render your engine uneconomic to repair. Unfortunately, you need to either park your ride or get this fixed, both ASAP.

So, uh, have you taken a whiff of the expansion bottle yet? It only takes seconds to do that, and the result could change the entire tendency of this thread...

Reply to
Tegger

In addition to the above, I think a compression test is also appropriate.

Reply to
M.A. Stewart

snipped-for-privacy@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (M.A. Stewart) wrote in news:huckbr$gun$ snipped-for-privacy@theodyn.ncf.ca:

More appropriate: a PRESSURE test. This is where you feed shop-air into each spark-plug hole in turn (valves closed) and see if bubbles appear in the rad. The one that makes bubbles is the bad one.

Reply to
Tegger

normally, by the time a compression test shows anything, the gasket is so far gone, you have plenty of other symptoms telling you what the problem is. besides, compression tests can't easily differentiate between gaskets and burnt valves.

Reply to
jim beam

works well in later stages, but not definitive in early stages. particularly since the test is done cold and some gasket problems only appear when hot.

the definitive test is the chemical test of the coolant. see my response to clare. you can save yourself a lot of money just buying the reagent from a chemical supply house rather than the massively inflated prices for the "auto" version where they carefully don't tell you what it is.

Reply to
jim beam

If the head gasket is leaking and you value the engine AT ALL - DO NOT continue driving it. You WILL cause further damage. Ride your bicycle for a week - a head gasket replacement on even a 7MGE is only a good day's work for a decent do-it-yourselfer. Add a day for the machine shop to check (and possibly plane) the head and you should be able to do it over 3 days - working evenings.

Reply to
clare

Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B wrote in news:iLFOn.137251$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe07.iad:

Nothing good.

Reply to
Tegger

It means PARK IT AND PULL THE HEAD.

Reply to
clare

Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B wrote in news:3vZOn.123160$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe09.iad:

Delay this fix and you'll get a nice crusty spot of corrosion on the block where the breach is. At that point, the new gasket may or may not hold; it's a crapshoot.

Reply to
Tegger

I'd get it apart within 2 weeks - and if you clean up and lightly grease or oil the block deck surface (as well as the cyls) you can take your time about putting it back together. Make sure you get the surface PERFECTLY clean.

Get ALL of the antifreeze out of the cyls and put ATF around the rings.Wipe down the cyl walls with a clean oiled rag (I usually use ATF for this too) Cover the engine with a good clean cloth to keep dirt out.

Reply to
clare

Not sure what that means, but why wait?

As long as you take care of covering up the block, you can leave the engine open as long as needed. Like if you want to get the head planed.

Reply to
Gary L Burnore