Re: oxygen sensors

Denso universal is pretty darn cheap and, since it is OEM, you can count on it, too.

I bought one from Amazon recently and am satisfied. A few years ago I bought an exact fit one from

at a great price, too. (These were for two different Hondas.)

Aftermarket O2 sensors do not have a good reputation, from my general reading.

"z" wrote

any reason not to buy an aftermarket O2 sensor over the > factory O2 > sensor? tia
Reply to
Elle

Typically your options are a universal fit sensor and an OEM replacement. The main difference in my experience is the OEM replacement has the correct plug already attached, and it costs twice as much as the universal fit sensor. The sensor element itself is the same AFAIK.

In the case of a 4 wire O2 sensor, the 'universal' fit sensors will usually come out of the box with...4 wires hanging loose. You get to wire it up yourself, which if you are handy with a soldering iron and shrink tubing you can do a professional R&R job in 20-30 minutes time and save yourself some money. Or if time is more important, buy the OEM version, and then you just unscrew the old one, screw in the new and connect the plug.

Chris

Reply to
Hal

If it says Bosch on the box leave it there.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

Why? My car came with Bosch sensors originally, why should I use anything different?

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Don't buy Bosch. Bosch OEM and Bosch aftermarket may be made by different vendors, even for the same application. That's been beaten to death on the Mopar forums over the years, and unless something's changed in the last year or so the failure rates (including bad out of the box) are very high in Bosch aftermarket sensors.

Elle wrote:

Reply to
Steve

Because the ones Bosch sells to the aftermarket are NOT NECESSARILY made in the same plant or to the same design as the ones they sell to auto manufacturers. The Bosch aftermarket replacements, even when labelled as OEM replacments, tend to have a much higher failure rate.

Reply to
Steve

I'd get a planar type sensor from Bosch. These are more resistant to contamination than out of date thimble types. Don't care for Denso sensors. Looks like Honda has good sense to use more expensive Bosch on some cars. But manufacturers buy in batches, lowest bidder wins.

No problems with Bosch. However, they also re-distribute other maker's parts. You can actually get a Denso in a Bosch box!

Reply to
johngdole

Planar type sensor:

johngdole

why do you always flog bosch dude? are you sponsored in some way? there's no one else on this group i've ever seen agree with you. quite the opposite in fact - and fwiw, /my/ personal experience with bosch has been awful.

Reply to
jim beam

I don't work for Bosch . Just here to talk about the good, bad and ugly of cars.

We all have different experiences I certainly respect that. I don't doubt your bad experiences with Bosch, but I've had excellent luck with them. Especially the planar types, using them to fix cheap Denso junk related problems like the P0420 converter efficiency problem (no converter replacement necessary). As some pointed out, Honda actually uses Bosch in some cars. Toyota TSBs replaced wideband Denso junk.

If Denso junk work then use them. Fram oil filters and Bridgestone tires work for many too. So the owner decides.

Reply to
johngdole

Most Hondas use better parts like NGK spark plugs (I prefer NGK Iridium-IX or Laser-Iridiums), Nissin/Findlex/Akebono brake pads, and Gates timing belts, not the cheaper Denso, NBK pads or Mitsuboshi/ Bando that's showing up more unfortunately these days.

IMO Denso's lower tech stuff work fine. More sophisticated things like ABS module they still have to use Bosch or licensed builds from Bosch.

Reply to
johngdole

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news:26c00f22-d0ce-4e21-b182-b175d6852906 @s9g2000prg.googlegroups.com:

I think they come OEM with Denso plugs, like Toyota.

And Sumitomo.

Unitta, actually. Gates now owns Unitta, but it's still Unitta.

Maybe North American-built cars use Gates branded belts.

Honda has used Mitsuboshi and Bando as OEM for V-belts and ribbed accessory drive belts respectively for at least twenty years, if not longer.

Reply to
Tegger

what's wrong with bando? not only are they oem, i've been using them for years and they've been great.

Reply to
jim beam

with respect, i think you're confused. just because a sensor is wideband, doesn't mean it's bosch or some kind of re-labeled bosch.

so exactly why do you think denso are junk? i've worked with both - not only is denso better build quality, they last longer. i ask because i don't understand what you're looking for that makes the difference to you.

if you mean that just because it fudges a "pass" on a smog check because it has looser tolerances aimed for exactly that purpose, /i/ don't think that makes it better quality, i think it makes is a fudge.

Reply to
jim beam

Wow

I'm having that very same code on my 2000 Mazda Protege!

Could it be the sensor instead of the converter?

Reply to
me