4 cylinder Camry with P0171 code

My 4-cylinder 97 Camry is showing a check engine light, and when Autozone scanned it, it was showing only a P0171 code (fuel-air mixture too lean).

There aren't any other codes, and I haven't noticed any reduced performance or exhaust leak noise. Nothing looked out of the ordinary under the hood, except that the Intake Air Temperature sensor on the air filter box had pulled away by maybe an eighth of an inch.

Several people in various internet forums said to clean or replace the MAF sensor on 6-cylinder Camrys, but they don't say what to do for 4- cylinder Camrys which have an MAP sensor instead. Can the MAP sensor be cleaned? Should it be replaced?

Should I try cleaning out the EGR valve?

Should the fuel filter be replaced? Are there other causes of low fuel pressure? Autozone sold me a bottle of Gumout fuel cleaner. Could that help? I don't drive much -- I fill up once a month or less. Could the fuel cleaner cause problems if I don't use up the tank of gas quickly enough?

Jimmy

Reply to
Jimmy

Speed/ density systems (the ones without a MAF sensor) use manifold pressure, air temperature, engine speed, and throttle position to estimate air flow and to then inject the appropriate amount of fuel. They adjust the amount of fuel injected based on the output of the O2 sensors. An intake manifold leak, a bad MAP sensor, a bad throttle position sensor, a temp sensor, or a bad O2 sensor can all set the lean F/A code. The Toyota manual will have a procedure for diagnosing which of these is the casue of the problem. Taking random guesses can be expensive. If you are determined to do this yourself, you at least need to look at a manual so you can check the sensors.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Gumout probably isn't a bad guess, since a blocked injector could lead to the code.

Search under P0171 in the diagnostics section here:

It will give you some idea of how to proceed.

If you're lucky, its a loose hose.

Reply to
ycleptor

To follow up, I went to a mechanic, who found two air fuel sensor trouble codes in addition to P0171 (P1130, and another which I don't have in front of me). He said the aftermarket sensor I installed a year or two ago was no good, and recommended replacing it with a Toyota sensor.

Jimmy

Reply to
Jimmy

You mechanic's advice is very good. I assume you are talking about the O2 sensors. Toyota uses very good quality and very application specific sensors. The generic ones are likely to casue problems - especially if you had to cut and splice wires to use the aftermarket sensor. I know the OEM sensors seem expensive, but they are worth it. Try one of the online Toyota parts dealers to get a better price. For instance try

. The front O2 sensor for a 1997 Camry is 130.03 plus shipping. Rock Auto does sell the OE Denso part for less (90.79 + shipping) and that should be OK as well (just don't get the generic Denso part, get the one for your application). Be aware that the sensors are different for California and non-California models. If you order from a online Toyota supplier, be sure to provide your VIN. My recommendation is get the actual Toyota part from an actual Toyota dealer. You might be able to convince a local dealer to sell you the part for the online dealer price. Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

When I had similar problems with a Camry, my mechanic warned me against the use of after-market sensors. He won't use them. The replacement sensor is a Denso (Toyota) sensor specific to the vehicle. He said that the after-market sensors go bad very quickly, if they work at all--it's not just Toyota trying to sell you OEM parts. Remember to get the specific sensor for your application, not a "one size fits all."

The sensors are of course ridiculously expensive. My mechanic has a big box of the bad ones because someone buys them from him for the platinum.

Is it my imagination, or do Toyotas seem to have an abnormally high level of these sensor failures? Two of our Toyotas have had them fail in the past year, and my neighbor with a 2005 Highlander just had a failure (fortunately he talked to me, because his clueless mechanic insisted that he needed a whole new catalytic converter, which would still not have fixed the problem of a bad air/fuel ratio sensor). I don't ever recall one going bad on any other vehicle we've had or that extended family members have had.

Reply to
SMS

The mechanic insisted on calling it an air-fuel ratio sensor, not an O2 sensor. I don't really know if there's a difference in the terms, but Toyota does refer to the part for California emissions Camrys as an air-fuel ratio sensor.

The aftermarket sensor I'm replacing said it was an exact replacement for a 1997 4-cylinder US-built California emissions Camry's air-fuel sensor.

Thanks. But that link doesn't specify if it's for California emissions cars or not, and they don't list an air-fuel ratio sensor.

Jimmy

Reply to
Jimmy

In California the front sensor is called an air/fuel ratio sensor, not an 02 sensor, for whatever reason.

Do not use an after-market sensor. Use a Toyota or Denso sensor that is specific to your vehicle. The after-market sensors will not work well or last long, and they are not all that much cheaper anyway.

Reply to
SMS

I think Toyota tries to very tightly control the AF Ratio to maximize fuel economy while still meeting emmision requirements. I believe that this makes the performance of some of their components exceptionally critical to proper performance.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White