Re: What octane rating should I use?

I hope someone here can help me with this- I have a '99 Chevy 1500 Pick-up

> with 5.0 liter engine. I have just been told that I am supposed to run 87 > octane gas-- and no higher! Higher octane will damage the computer, so I'm > told. Is that true? I have always been taught that the higher the octane the > better. If true for this vehicle, what about wife's 95 Lumina (V-6)? Is it > set up to run 87 octane only also? > Any input on this would be greatly appreciated! Hurry, 'cause I need to put > gas in my truck soon!

Higher equivilant Octane will not damage your computer, but will cause significant damage to your wallet, as it is more expensive and unnecessary in a relatively low-compression engine such as the one in your pick-up.

Reply to
ztip guy