Reading OBD error codes

NOTE: This message was sent thru a mail2news gateway. No effort was made to verify the identity of the sender.

This is on 5.7L TBI Caprice with OBD-I. Check Engine Light came on, I pulled the codes and got:

13: Oxygen Sensor Circuit Check for a sticking or misadjusted TPS. Check wiring to O2 Sensor. Replace O2 Sensor.

43: ESC (Electronic Spark Control) The ESC retard signal has been on for too long or the system has failed a functional check.

54: Fuel Pump Low Fuel Pump voltage. Sets when the fuel pump voltage is less than 2 volts when reference pulses are being received.

First, I replaced O2 sensor recently. Secondly, acceleration is erratic. Sometimes very good like it should be with this 9C1 engine and sometimes cannot go beyond 55 on a hill and today I think it went into limp mode because I couldn't go beyond 25. This points to a bad knock sensor. However, code 43 could also be ESC (Electronic Spark Control). Which one is it?

So where do I start? With the ESC, knock sensor or the fuel pump and are these related or different issues? Is code 13 merely a side effect of bad knock sensor/ESC?

Reply to
An Metet

ESC and the knock sensor are referring to the same thing. Code 43 can either mean that the knock signal was present for too long, or was not present when the ECM expected to detect knock (typically at near wide open throttle acceleration). I believe if either happens, the ECM sets maximum spark retard, which will reduce performance significantly.

The fact that you've got 3 apparently unrelated codes makes me suspicious about a possible common point of failure, however.. might be that you have a bad ECM.

Reply to
Robert Hancock