1994 Mercury Tracer

Can anyone tell me exactly where the thermostat is located on this car? It is a 1.9L. I can't get heat! Took it to a shop today and paid 125.00 for flush and fill and a new thermostat. Still don't have heat. Seems as though thermostat is stuck open. No change since the repairs were made. Any suggestions???? where is this part located exactly?

I really appreciate your assistance!!!!

Kyle

Reply to
K M

even if the thermostat was stuck open you woulds still get heat when the engine warms up..... let the motor run for about 15 minutes or do this after driving for a bit... open the hood and put your hand on the upper radiator hose... its hot??? if so then the engine is warm... then go back to the firewall and feel the two heater hoses that go to the heater(under the hood).. feel both, which one is hot???? you might have a blocked heater core(if you ever put any kind of stop leak in the coolant system it will block up the heater core and you will this problem).. or it could be a loose or fallen off vacuum hose on the back of the heater which is not shutting the door to give it heat....

Reply to
jim

I think it's under the distributor (I'm not sure exactly what you call it, it's the electrical module that performs the function of the former distributor). Or thereabouts. That's pretty close to where both the upper radiator hose goes into the engine and the heater hose comes out.

Reply to
Childfree Scott

Does the engine get warm according to the dash gauge? Do you feel the blend door moving (maybe even hearing it shut against the stops), as you move the lever from cold (blue) to hot (red)? Are you sure it's a coolant flow issue, and not an airflow through the heater core issue? The thermostat's inside the thermostat housing/cover. Simply follow the upper radiator hose (driver's side) back to the engine. It's rather hidden by the EDIS coil pack mounted above it.

Reply to
William Hopkins

Wow! I thank you for the replies! Believe it or not...we found the answer to be a $4 radiator cap that was at fault. We had the cooling system pressure checked, flushed, and a new thermostat installed..still no heat. The vacuum on the heat door checked out ok, the heater core hoses were both luke warm, the top hose was temped at best..but no pressure...we thought what the heck and replaced the cap. 5 minutes later we had heat!

Thanks aga>

Reply to
K M

By the way, can anyone tell me what year they stopped making the Tracer? I've been looking to take a test drive in one recently but I haven't found one.

Reply to
FordEscape6453

1999
Reply to