Re: 88 Accord-Weird problem.

"tim1337" wrote: > Lately, Ive had no heat, and apparently, no coolant to the > engine. I never ran it more than 5 minutes running hot until > today. > > The day I lost heat, I hit a huge bump in the road and went > too fast over an overly large speed bump. > > At first I thought the problem was the thermostat. i changed > it, but no heat. WHen I was driving home from school today, i > went without stopping (15 minute drive). It was really hot for > about 7-10 minutes. Then, i ran over a pretty small pot hole. > I heard kind of a popping noise coming from (I think) under > the car. A little bit of smoke was behind me as I looked back > to make sure nothing fell off. immediately after, my heat > started working again. The engine temp went back down to > normal.It drove fine also, without as much as a stutter. The > only problem I noticed was a little engine smoking after I got > home. > > My dad said their might have been an air bubble in the > antifreeze or somewhere, preventing coolant or water to do its > job. Was that it, or did something bad happen? > > Again, I noticed no negative performance afterward. it only > worked better. After the popping, I was about 2 minutes from > home.

Probably an air lock and the popping was coolant hitting hot exhaust, there should have been a smell of AF with the smoke. Did you run the motor with the rad cap off and watch the temperature gauge after you replaced the stat? If you just filled it with AF and didn?t eliminate the air lock an overheat can occur potentially damaging the motor. Check you fluid levels over the next week, if it drops consistently chances are you blew the head gasket, not for sure though, they are tough little motors.

Reply to
Ottawaexr