Real easy to ruin engine thermostat?

And the morons can't resist lining up to proudly showcase their abject incompetence despite the fact that they could easily dispel the implicit idiocy of this myth (here's a hint, at steady state in a appropriately sized and applied radiator, it is ALWAYS full and disipating the heat of steaming hot coolant, irrespective of the flow rate) by sizing a heat exchanger on any number of readily available internet sites.

Reply to
None

Which would seem to be obvious to anyone other than a pretentious troll or the most rank of amateurs.

If the post isn't a put-on, then my guess would be that (s)he might conceivably be referring to an attempt to successfully get coolant into an extremely hot engine that, dependent upon the location, instead immediately flashes/boils it right back out of the fill point.

Quite possibly.

Reply to
None

I hope I never see the dreaded replace engine light.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

yup, honda. bypass flow, not full flow. it depends on the type of thermostat failure - simple "stuck open" runs you too cold, but if the thermostat's valve fails, or some genius removes the thermostat completely as some hacks will, the bypass circuit becomes the only one seeing any flow and the engine will overheat.

Reply to
jim beam

et tu?

Reply to
jim beam

Nate think the heat transfer through. it's just a backyard myth. What will happen is what you experienced if the tstat is stuck open.

Reply to
Brent

"None" wrote in news:k625hk$6uj$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

You're real brave behind that anonymity, aren't you?

Reply to
Tegger

Brent wrote in news:k62fpk$gsp$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Nate is correct. Too much flow means too much cooling.

Reply to
Tegger

At least every bit as brave as the craven coward who is driven to truncate the words of the post he's responding to, due to his inability to face the undeniable facts.

Would it decrease your susceptibility to myths or increase your competence were I to identify myself as Pooh and post my email address as being snipped-for-privacy@example.com?

Reply to
None

Instead of issuing a mea culpa and despite being spoonfed, couldn't quite get that one right either, eh?

Reply to
None

Ok, just post the relevant heat transfer equations that show faster moving fluid in the heat exchanger transfers less heat to the environment.

Reply to
Brent

Is this an attempt to provide positive proof that you're unable to either follow a thread or understand what you've read? Hint: my entire argument has quite consistently and unmistakably been the precise polar opposite of your apparent inferrence.

Reply to
None

Brent wrote in news:k63i7d$30b$1@dont- email.me:

Sorry, I don't know anything about the theory. All I know is what I see in the real-world. And in the real-world, when thermostats stick open or are absent, the engine runs cold.

Reply to
Tegger

I think you could have ended that sentence there.

Then in the unlikely event that you could possibly muster the requisite intestinal fortitude to respond in context, pray tell what might the meaning/implication of this post have been?

Reprinted below for your convenience:

+--------------------------------------+ \ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 / \ 1 9 / / \ 0 / 10 / \ TROLL-O-METER / / \ / / \ / / \_____________________/____/ \ / \....................../

Pegged!

Reply to
None

Tegger wrote in news:XnsA0F4668299BCFtegger@208.90.168.18:

Oops. Sorry, Brent. I just noticed you were responding to "None", and not to me. I now have him KF'ed so I didn't see his reply.

Is the troll just Jim Beam under another nym?

Reply to
Tegger

Precisely as presciently predicted for a prevaricator and which would, as I'd also anticipate, come as no surprise whatsoever to anyone.

Reply to
None

-> From: "None"

-> Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech

-> Subject: Re: Real easy to ruin engine thermostat?

-> Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2012 13:04:34 -0500

->

-> Sure it can. A t-stat stuck open (or of too low a temp.) can let the

-> water flow through the radiator too fast to sufficiently cool.

Simply show the heat transfer equations for a heat exchanger which support this statment.

Reply to
Brent

Ahh I see now. You quoted gpstroll (whom I have kill filed) without quote marks. Your error. Oddly you seem to be going after those who disagree with that statement.

Reply to
Brent

I believe there is a good chance that if the thermostat gets steamed it could ruin it. I could also be that the thermostat went bad and that's what caused the car to overheat and blow the hose.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

@ Sorry (for you) but wrong yet again. Here's my post:

Reprinted in its entirety here:

Sure it can. A t-stat stuck open (or of too low a temp.) can let the water flow through the radiator too fast to sufficiently cool.

-----

- gpsman

And Ford invented the automobile, Gates invented the computer, Doubleday invented baseball ... what a certified, card carrying idiot! "

@ As anyone paying attention could easily differentiate, that was hardly the only occassion, as I have in fact consistently disagreed with the erroneous "sans thermostat overheating" assumption MULTIPLE times during this entire thread.

Your error.

@ No, yours! Outlook Express, as is well known, commonly fails to supply the right arrow (>) character to remarks that are responded to in a previous post, however there was both a signature and a series of asterisks that made it clear to to where one post ended and its reply commenced.

@ But it's hardly incumbent upon me to spoonfeed another who can't be bothered to take the necessary time and effort to keep-up with the discussion, and you can rest assured that unlike as in this case (where I've bent over backwards to be as crystal clear as possible), I'll in the future again do nothing more than my usual to provide a casual albeit clear indication as to where my reply begins.

@ Which statement? Given your indefinite reference, I can't respond because I can't easily or otherwise uniquely determine to what it exactly is that you're referring.

Reply to
None