Reality hits below the belt :-(

So I finally decided it was time to take the '88 Caddy to the knackers. Two rejections out of hand, one offer of $115 if I drive it in ($65 if they have to pick it up), and I'm waiting for a callback from the Cadillac-only wrecker. Damn thing has 90K miles (engine and trans in what's probably perfect shape, no oil used between annual (3K) oil changes) and a complete set of brand-new brakes -- calipers, rotors and pads. AND it has a full tank of gas!

I don't want to give it to a needy kid or sell it to a grownup because of the constantly-changing throttle problems, some of which involved uncontrollable acceleration a couple of years ago, and I'm not certain it won't return and I'd feel really bad if the POS killed somebody.

Reply to
The Real Bev

You anywhere near Las Vegas?

Reply to
Bill Vanek

Uncontrolled acceleration and throttle problems = Bad cruise control module.

Reply to
Steve W.

Nope, definitely computer/throttle problem. I've replaced whatever parts were available, and only the mode of problem changed, but not in any way I could relate to the replacement. First it accelerated uncontrollably (BRAKE NEUTRAL GET OFF FREEWAY PULL TO SIDE SHUT ENGINE...Start engine immediately and everything is normal -- maybe 5 times over 3 years total, just enough to keep me honest). Then it would stick at whatever speed I'd been going and/or suddenly slow down as if the engine went off for a fraction of a second -- repeatedly. I never used the cruise control, and I had it completely disconnected a couple of years ago.

Reply to
The Real Bev

Did you ever get the throttle body bushing problem repaired? Also, some GM ECM's had problems like you're describing, but I'm not sure if Caddy's used any of those. Did you ever replace the ECM? The ISC motor? There might have also been problems with the ISC connector terminals on those cars.

Reply to
Bill Vanek

No, the guy either couldn't get a replacement, or replacing it would also require replacing a lot of other expensive stuff. It also needs AC and shocks ($2K) plus a new headliner and maybe some bodywork and some other bits and pieces. I deeply regret throwing $1K at the brakes -- especially since I probably can't get more than $115 for the whole thing.

I bought a 2013 Corolla instead of sinking further cash into this POS. Before I bought it I took it to the Caddy guy to look at -- he said he'd looked at that car that morning, possibly for his daughter. I felt bad buying it out from under him, but if it ever needs work I'll take it to him so I guess it's OK. It's REALLY nice to drive :-) I feel bad trashing my mom's car, but I figure if it's going to try to kill me I really don't owe it a hell of a lot of loyalty.

I just can't remember. I have confidence in the mechanic and I think he did everything he could. Some parts were just not available even at local wreckers. I thought of giving it to our friend with the 92 Caddy, but the mechanic said that the parts -- including the brand-new brakes

-- were different.

I'm bothered by the fact that the Toyota dealer I bought the Corolla from is actually the same as the hated Cadillac (and Land Rover and a few others) dealer, but it had only 17K miles and was absolutely pristine except for a 2" scratch on the rear passenger-side fender and I couldn't think of a reason to NOT buy it.

Reply to
The Real Bev

Did you change the throttle cable? Or just squirt something down it?

I'd call a local Cadillac club.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

No idea, but given the varying nature of the problem I don't think the cable is the problem -- certainly not for the involuntary acceleration thing.

Excellent idea, I just sent email. I had no idea that lunatics banded together to exercise their insanity :-(

Reply to
The Real Bev

I know what you mean. I used to be in the Fiat Club of America. The president was a Mr. Bimbo. Here's the local Cadillac club monthly meeting. They don't have a meeting place but the street is always available.

dsi1

If you've disabled the cruise control and replaced the throttle bushings, the cable and the idle control system are the only things left that can cause the problem. The thing binds up and then all of a sudden lets go.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Seems to be the case, although the dropouts (5-15/minute, say) at the same throttle setting would seem to be something else. In any case, it's going away real soon now. If it had just flunked its smog test in May (passed by ONE point) I could get $1K for it from the State of California :-(

Reply to
The Real Bev

No problem, then! Put some ATF in the gas tank and take the test again!

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

I wonder if that's actually allowed. California does really weird shit.

Reply to
The Real Bev

Don't use ATF, it has dye in it. Excessive oil burning would... No it isn't "allowed" but a failed car is a failed car....

Reply to
Steve W.

Wondering whether I can have it retested 5 months later in order to fail. I guess I could say I was going to sell it; we're supposed to do a smog test BEFORE transferring the title even if we're selling the car as is, no refunds :-( Ponder...

I think all I have to do is tell the guy I want it to fail; I think something was fudged to save that ONE point last time.

Reply to
The Real Bev

The State of California, out of the goodness of its heart, will pay me $1K to drive it to the appropriate crusher after having filled out the appropriate forms. I don't think I can get better than that, but it pisses me off that they're supposed to crush the entire thing rather than re-use the BRAND NEW parts. I'd be willing to bet that the calipers, at least, can be used on a lot of other cars.

I did this with a Sentra a while back, which had a LOT of lifetime parts and which I really liked driving. (Valve guides blown on rebuilt engine.) I hate the concept of crushing a car that works. It's, at the very least, wasteful as all hell. The smog regs are a farce, at this point designed only to keep the smog industry thriving.

Reply to
The Real Bev

A truly IDIOTIC statement!

Reply to
.

Swedish people like big old American cars. Advertise it for sale in Sweden.

Reply to
JR

I gather you aren't from California...

Reply to
The Real Bev

California's a great state but the emissions tests are scary if you've got a car with some miles and years on it. I was surprised to see the vapor recycling systems on the gas pump nozzles back in the late 70s. I could see they were serous about emissions.

I had a Mazda rotary back in those days - as I recall, it was sure a cliffhanger when getting it tested. Hopefully, they've made it easier. Life will sure be easier when we're driving electric cars.

Reply to
dsi1