Rear brake shoes noise/question ???

Vehicle: 2000 Pontiac Grand Am 3.4

The other day I noticed some sandpaper like noise when I was backing up the car. Sometimes it was there sometimes not, especially when the car was first stared in the morning but no hard/fast rules here.

Since the vehicle has about 187K miles I thought I was due for some rear brake shoes. Replaced the shoes/ W-springs, actuator springs and drums with all new. Spun the drums on both sides to make sure noting was sticking as the old DS drum had an out of round sticking condition when rotated.

Same problem after I finished the brakes. Same side of the vehicle (Drivers Side rear). What I also noticed is that once the vehicle starts after reversing the hissing/scraping noise is there but quiets after a few seconds until I hit a dip in the road and when the shocks/stuts dip the noise is there again. We're not talking about a pot hole or RR tracks we're talking about doing 35+ and hitting a graceful dip in the road that causes the struts to flex.

Dips in the road should not cause any diff. in the relationship of the shoes to the rotor since they're held in the same position and move together. What is going on here?

Could this be a shot rear hub/bearing?

Thanks

MB

Reply to