rear brake shoes

Hello. I have a 2003 jeep wrangler - great vehicle! I took it to the shop yesterday to have the oil changed, tires rotated and brakes checked. All looked good, but the mechanic told me he'd never seen brake shoes like I had on the rear, and I'm wondering if this is normal or if they need to be changed...the rear brake shoes have a "cut" down the middle. There is no metal-on-metal sound when brakes are applied, but they do making a low "thumping" kind of noise. Since these are the original brake shoes, I don't know if this is normal or if they've deteriorated and should be replaced? Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

Leslie

Reply to
leslie

The thumping noisy you hear is likely from warped drums thatcause the brake shoes to "walk" around in drum a bit when brakes are applied. I would not worry about groove is there is plenty of pad left but do not try to run pads down to bitter end, When I inspect pads and find about

40% or less pad left, I change the pads. Granted I am spending a bit more in the long run doing this but then I also have more reserve wear in them if I do not check them again for a while.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

You mean like cut on purpose? That mechanic must be pretty green if he's never seen anything like that. Drum brakes can thump a little if they are too loose, or if someone else has said the drums are out of round.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton