Rear wheel frozen on 1986 Honda Civic

I have a 1986 Civic that's been sitting outside for about 4 months now. I tried to move it the other day and found that the rear left wheel is locked and I was only successful in dragging the tire across my driveway. The other side seems fine.

What is most likely to cause this? Rusted brake parts? Would getting a brake hardware kit fix this problem?

Thanks

-J

Reply to
Masospaghetti

Masospaghetti wrote in news:elsu59$jgj$1@news- int.gatech.edu:

The brake shoes are corroded to the drum. Parking brake was on for a long time, wasn't it? Never set the parking brake when storing a car.

The fix: Remove the road wheel on the affected side. Get a one-pound hammer. Tap all around the SIDE of the drum between the studs and the edge of the drum. Tap gently (not TOO gently) and rapidly, working your way all the way around. Keep going... Eventually you'll hear a ZING! noise. This will mean the shoes have pulled away from the drum and you're home-free.

Reply to
Tegger

We recently had that happen to a vehicle parked too long. We got lucky on one side, working the emergency brake cable hard and hitting the rim with a 10 lb hammer broke it loose. On the other side we had to remove the tire and bearing to get it unseized.

Mike

Mike Romain