Removing oil stains from concrete

Kitty litter.

WD-40.

More kitty litter.

Repeat.

Reply to
Todd H.

: Buy, borrow, or steal a pressure washer. Not only will it get the oil up : but if you do the whole drive-way, it will look brand new.

A pressure washer will etch out the concrete. It'll blow away the cement and leave the surface more rough and make it look different than the remainder of the non-etched surface. Some doofus tried this on my GF's swimming pool deck and it is permanently screwed up.

b.

Reply to
<barry

I make a poultice of kitty litter and mineral spirits. I spread the poultice over the stain and let the mineral spirits evaporate. The mineral spirits solvent penetrates the concrete, dissolves most of the oil, then migrates back into the kitty litter, carrying the oil with it, as the solvent evaporates. The process is a form of chromatography.

It isn't perfect but it is cheap, simple and handles most of the problem. However, you must deal the fire hazard somehow. If I use the technique inside my garage, I use a fan to blow the fumes out the open door. I never use it inside the house.

Brake fluid and transmission fluid are best handled with an alcohol, acetone or lacquer thinner. The fire hazard is much greater with these solvents.

Jason

Reply to
jazon48

This is what is commonly used in industry to remove oil stains. Easy to use and get rid of. Contact them for a dealer in your area.

You can also pressure wash the stain out.

Reply to
richard1969

Which is kitty litter without the perfume. If not easy to find just get kitty litter.

Don

Reply to
Don

No it doesn't Barry. The cement is only disentegrated if the water spray is extremely close to the surface of the cement. Otherwise, the cement is cleaned and made to look new again with no loss of the cement mixture whatsoever.

Some doofus

Exactly.

tried this on my GF's swimming

Don't let a doofus work on your girl friends pool next time.

Alt

Reply to
(Del¤+/Ctrl+¤/Alt¤+)

Reply to
jils

even the cheapest cat litter, the clay type, from the supermarket. pour it on, leave overnight or longer. no scrubbing required. been used lots of times on my driveway. you can pour it straight on to liquid oil. it will absorb it.

Jerry Noble wrote:

Reply to
jils

You don't remove the oil stains, you remove the concrete. if your car leaks oil, simply remove and replace the concrete every 6 to 8 weeks, or sooner if you wish.

Reply to
the_pope

powder),dishwashing

This is probably the best answer, so far!

Reply to
<HLS