Removing Pine Tar and Bird doo: What to use ?

Hello,

New Subaru Outback, 2015 Twilight Blue Metallic.

Car is left outside, so has accumulated a fair amount of bird-doo, and also resin from trees. (pine tar ?).

What's totally safe to dissolve and remove ?

Rubbing Alcohol (the typical drug store kind) ? Windex ?

Or,...?

Any precautions or caveats ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob

Retired

The bird crap is easy, spray it with hot water till is dissolves and rinses off.

Pine tar is a PIA to remove, One of the best items I have used is the gelled alcohol hand sanitizer. The more alcohol the better. Rubbing alcohol works as well but you have to keep wetting the towel to keep the spot damp, the hand goo stays damp for long enough to soak in. Then once the sap is softened a quick spritz with WD 40 and the sap comes off. Then some wax& grease remover and finally a good wash and wax, Use a good carnuba wax and apply 2 - 3 coats.

Reply to
Steve W.

Hi Guys,

As always, thanks for help.

Have also heard about a product called "Goop".

Anyone have any experience with it related to pine tar removal ?

Safe ? Totally ?

Thanks, Bob

--------------------

Reply to
Bob

Mineral Spirits is good for cleaning off road tar.

Reply to
JR

The only GOOP that I have heard of is Goop Hand Cleaner. It has pumice and will take the paint off of your car along with the tar and bird droppings.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

He might be thinking of GOJO. It'll clean many things. Don't know if it'll clean pine tar. I've used pine tar cleaner for that, from the auto store, with good results. Don't remember what brand.

Reply to
Vic Smith

Vic Smith wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

goop will work but will require a lot of elbo grease. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff