Removing wax from windshield

OK, so I started that thread on Bon Ami for cleaning windshields and it turned into some really interesting comments about Consumer Reports and General Motors.

But what I was really trying to do was to help a friend who had run his fairly new Honda through a car wash which had put a wax on the car. The wax wash left some on the windshield which caused streaking when the windshield wipers were used.

So the real question was, "How do we remove the wax?"

I think that finding the proper formulation of Bon Ami will work but is there a better way?

Andy

Reply to
andyandlynn

wrote

I usually just use one of those squareish scouring pads (like a generic Scotchbrite) that are 6-in-a-pack at the grocery store. I make sure the glass is clean (NO grit), keep the pad and glass wet with some washer fluid or 20/10 (whatever's in the trunk), and GENTLY go round and round and round and round (swirling, not back-and-forth) covering the whole windshield a bit at a time until the roughness of the wax is gone. Give the blades a good scrub, rinse it all down, and go.

Reply to
MasterBlaster

I bought some envelopes of automotive glass cleaner at one of the parts stores not too long ago. They worked pretty well. Dont know if they are easy to find, but you might take a look.

Remember that just cleaning the glass may not be enough. The wiper blades hold wax and grease too, and you will have to clean or replace them in some cases to keep the windshield from streaking.

Isopropyl alcohol from the pharmacy or products like Windex can often help in getting the glass clean.

Reply to
<HLS

Dawn liquid detergent will remove carnauba wax and oil. Just keep it off the paint unless you plan on rewaxing it.

The Stoner's spray "Invisable Glass Cleaner" at most auto parts centers would also work with a good rub down with a microfleece cloth.

B~

Reply to
B. Peg

Lighter Fluid

Reply to
ed

Waxes are aliphatic. Any good solvent will remove it: Detergent, lighter fluid, gasoline, 1-1-1 Trichloroethane, MEK, acetone, hexane, etc. They will also soften paint, plastic, and rubber.

Reply to
« Paul »