Repairing Rusty Electrical Connectors

Some of the electrical connectors on my '63 Corvair have heavy rust. They are plated steel. I can use rust remover to clean them up but the bare metal will rust eventually. I am looking for ways to tin, plate or seal the metal. The only idea that I have is to use silicone grease.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Scott

Reply to
Scott Buchanan

Scott Buchanan a =E9crit :

Good idea, just fill the connector with Nylogel or any other dialectric grease

Reply to
Homer

Replace them. Apply dielectric grease to the new ones so that this doesn't happen again.

Once they are rusted, there is no way to get a nice clean tinned surface again.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

So you're saying they can't be electroplated? Isn't that how they were made in the first place? I know I've seen DIY instructions & kits for electroplating all over the web. A simple google search for DIY electroplating should get thousands of results. I'm wondering if there's some reason they can't be used for electrical connectors.

Of course new ones aren't real expensive. Fixing more hassle that the new ones are worth maybe?

Cheers, - JJG

Reply to
Keep YerSpam

The problem is that the original metal underneath is now pitted. If you remove the rust from the surface, you now have connectors that have an uneven and pitted surface. If you plate over the pitted surface, you get an uneven and pitted plating.

Most of those connectors were probably hot-dipped in tin rather than electroplated. You could electroplate them, but it might be easier just to dip them in a solder pot. Regulate the pot temperature to adjust the thickness of the coating. The nickel-plating pens would work, though, IF you could get the original surface smooth and if IF the original metal has not become brittle.

It's more than just hassle, it's the fact that you'll find most of those connectors are pitted and even if you're willing to spend a couple hours on each connector with a Dremel tool smoothing down the finish, you're going to wind up with thin and breakable metal.

Note that a lot of those contacts are spring steel, and after a few years they are no longer springy. It is possible to re-anneal them on the bench with a jeweler's torch and a small furnace made from firebrick. It will cost you a lot time and a lot of money in gas, though.

I think it's a bad idea, though, to put five or six hours work into a connector that sells for a dollar or two, especially when the end result will be a connector that is less reliable than the replacement.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

When I redid my Jeep, I replaced all the rotted ones. I found the wires were even rotted at the connection buried in the rubber so there really isn't much there to fix.

I got lucky and a friend gave me a used harness out of a full sized GM van for a hand I gave him so I just cut out all the bad ones and used solder and heat shrink with dielectric grease inside the heat shrink to replace them. I also used dielectric grease inside each. My Jeep uses GM connections.

I figured that was the best way to go short of rewiring. I did change wires that were discolored while I was in there.

Mike

Mike Romain

Scott Buchanan wrote: ( '63 Corvair )

Some of the electrical c Fill the c Idiot: Do you know what dielectric means? __________________________________________

Dielectric means electrically non-conductive.

Homer is correct - if an electrical connector is to be filled with grease to prevent further corrosion, the grease must be dielectric.

Rodan.

Reply to
Rodan

There are tin plating solutions that may help, provided you can first remove every bit of the corrosion. They're sold by electronics supplies and are used for tin plating copper circuit boards.

Are the connectors made of steel, or are they tin-plated brass? Bare brass will work.

Apply silicone grease to the connectors before plugging them in so the grease seals better. This will not interfere with the electrical conduction since the metal will pierce the film of grease.

Reply to
do_not_spam_me

Thanks for all the responses. At least most of them.

It looks like that I was too vague on what I was trying to do. The rust is on the 1/4" wide, male, blade connectors on the back of the heater switch. They are plated steel. They are riveted to a phenolic block so it can handle heat ok. The rust remover took off most of the rust except what was in the pits. Sand blasting took care of this.

This is mostly a learning process for me. I may be able to find a good replacement switch, but I want to learn how to fix it in case a replacement was not available.

Thanks, Scott

Reply to
Scott Buchanan

On those, I use new female connections and dielectric grease once the spades are cleaned up. The new female connectors will be nice and tight again. Alternately I have taken the female side out and carefully squeezed the side rails down to make them tight again.

The old pins can be removed from the plug using a mini screwdriver down the back side of them, then new female spades can be crimped back onto the wires and put back into the plug or just plugged on directly.

I have also soldered the spades to coat them with iffy success, you have to get 'all' the flux off or it will cause fast corrosion. I found the solder didn't want to go on evenly so it was a bugger to get the female side on over it and have it stay tight. The solder is pretty soft.... The solder works to hold the pin onto the rivet well though.

Mike

Mike Romain

All this tinning and replating sure seems to be a painfully huge amount of work when one can just replace connectors or a switch, doesn't it?

-- ~~R.Banks

Reply to
Robin Banks

Parts for these old cars are hard to come by. When you do find them they can be expensive. Besides, I like to fix things.

Reply to
Scott Buchanan

Me too, that's why I mention a source for 'new' spade connectors.

My heater switch is currently broken on one Jeep. One spade rotted off (the power in one) so I have it unplugged with a small jumper for heater controls. I have to remove the dash to get at mine, it is too rusted to unscrew the bezel. I have the spade from a dead headlight waiting for me to get ambitious and open it up.

Mike

Scott Buchanan wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I have used three different fluxes. The one that works best is Oatly Tinning flux. A dab on the work surface and the electrical grade solder flows well.

Reply to
Scott Buchanan

Since it seems that you can read, use a dictionary.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Doyle