AM Radio buzz

Hi All,

I have looked and found similar posts, but not quite like this one:

My 1999 Civic DX factory-installed AM/FM radio has a problem with the AM. I can hear the engine buzz and whine through the AM. I have never fiddled with replacing it and was wondering if anyone had any ideas or know about similar issues.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
doublenaught

In a word, grounding. The first place to look is the antenna mount, where it attaches to the body. (I don't know where your '99 antenna is located, but if it is a fender mount you will find this part at least easy enough.) If you can unmount it, clean up the contact surface as much as possible. Often there is paint inside and out - great for rust resistance but awful for AM reception - that will have to be cleaned away with sandpaper or Scotchbrite. Applying silicone grease to the bare metal will prevent rust while allowing the antenna to make contact.

Back when I was in avionics we ended up spending most of two hours installing ADF antennas. ADFs are basically AM radios with fancy antennas and some circuitry to indicate which way the station is. If we just slapped the antenna on the skin, like we tried at first, the interference was terrible. We sanded down to metal and got decent reception. Then we found that treating the aluminum skin with Alumiprep (an acid) and Alodyne (some other sort of chemical made for the purpose) that the performance was much better. Fortunately, steel isn't that touchy.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

it could be the spark plug wires also. good well insulated ones do cost alot but could cut down on the humming u hear. also maybe just buy a better radio if u can afford it.

Reply to
hondaman

Thanks for the advice and considerate reply. I'll try it.

Reply to
doublenaught

If cleaning the mounting and antenna doesn't work, I'll look into replacing the spark plug wires.

Yes, I thought about replacing it, but then thought it might be tempting for a thief (even with a removable faceplate).

Thanks.

Reply to
doublenaught