rust changing paint

hey all,

does anyone have any experience with that primer paint that 'sprays on clear and turns rust into black primer'? i am working the surface rust off of my 72 t3 and was wondering if that stuff was any good.

thanx!

rash

Reply to
rash_powder

I used it on my old baja. If you sand down what you can and get the rusty spots halfway back to decent, that stuff will certainly help retard the rust from popping back the next time it rains. Just remember to use regular primer over it later on. I don't know exactly how long it will last (that was a long time ago and my memory's not what it used to be) but I seem to remember it worked pretty well for at least a little while. If you plan on primering the car or spots and not getting paint to it right away, look for the Rustoleum paint now for autos. It has something in it that makes the primer stand up to wetness better. I used it on my Mustang and it's been raining like a sumbitch here lately. I haven't had time to get the paint on but the primer is holding up fantastically. So, I would use the the rust converter but only for a short time. I would use regular primer over that as well just to give it that extra protection.

K.

Reply to
Kidd Andersson

Baby, quit helping people. You're slipping ;)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Too bad. Shut the f*ck up and get back to work on my vert! (That better?)

*iso pusi*

K.

Reply to
Kidd Andersson

Ah, back to normal! *huggles*

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

On my 55 single tip muffler good for about 2 months. On my Weber good for about 6 months. I would remove gross rust (they say it won't work on bare metal), use the Extend(tm) and then coat with primer within 2-3 days. I think that it does "neutralize" rust as advertized but it doesn't act as a primer as far as I can tell. If not covered with something else rust will rapidly reappear. Just understand that "bare" just machined steel and iron already has begun to rust and only complete oxygen barrier (primer or non rusting metal such as tin) will stop the rust from progressing. Rust never sleeps! Howard

Reply to
Howard Nelson

"" wrote: > hey all, > > does anyone have any experience with that primer paint that > 'sprays on > clear and turns rust into black primer'? i am working the > surface rust > off of my 72 t3 and was wondering if that stuff was any good. > > thanx! > > rash

I use Ospho. Its phosphoric acid, and when you spray or brush it on to surface rust, it dries black and you can paint (primer) right over it..

Shikkapow