'95 Honda Civic doesn't crank when cold outside

hello to all, My '95 Honda Civic doesn't crank properly when it is cold outside. The check engine light isn't on and I've just had maintance done on my car...like new rotor, spark plugs, etc. When I crank my car up when it is cold...the engine sputters and then proceed to cut off. When I place my foot on the gas and keep it there for 2 mins or so, my car runs fine. I don't understand what is wrong with my car. When I warm it up or when it is hot outside, it runs perfectly...does anyone know what is wrong with my car...help?!

Reply to
hondagal

Cold start air metering is wrong, the engine is too lean when the temp is below a certain point...a few different things can do that, Coolant Temp Switch, Ambient Air Temp sensor, The IAC (idle air control) or whatever Honda calls it might be sticking, etc.

IAC or gunked up throttle plate not closing all the way is most common...

Reply to
jeffcoslacker

View this thread:

hondagal

I also have a '91 Honda Accord and it idles really high (around 2 rpm) when it is hot outside and when the engine is hot...what may be wrong with it?

h> Thanks...alot...at least I know now some where to begin....anyone else

> View this thread:

hondagal

If the gas pedal cable has not been misadjusted this is usually a bad throttle position sensor. It is part of the throttle body assembly and not intended to be replaced separately nor available separately from Honda. Not to say you couldn't drill out the rivets and replace it to prove a point, perhaps.

Don

> > View this thread:

Don