Roadtrip - Need lift - rubber spring raisers?

I'm going on a roadtrip from Toronto to Florida next week in my Focus ZX3. I have an aftermarket lowered suspension (1.8" drop) and wider-than-stock tires. Normally with no weight in the car, there is a 2-finger-width gap between tire & wheel arch. However, when there is a lot of weight in the car, I get a bit of tire rub, which is not normally an issue, but going on a 22hr non-stop drive with a passenger and a car full of camping gear is a concern.

Someone was going to lend me their (stock) summer rims & tires for a small fee but someone else in my car club suggested purchasing & using coil spring raisers. I'm considering this as it might be a re-usable solution (yes, I know I should get new proper-fitting rims, FORD put these on my car as a package when I purchased them and I only lowered my car recently).

I saw some in a local store that give 1" lift (probably as much as I need) and they are just rubber blocks that hook between 2 coils, reducing the amount that the spring can compress.

Not having used them before, I'm a little concerned about the safety aspect of them. Obviously they wouldn't sell them if they were unsafe, but surely they must affect handling somewhat - especially as my springs are progressive-rate?? Are they safe? And they won't fall out?

Anyone have any experience with rubber coil spring raisers?

Reply to
DB_ZX3

Mike Walsh