Rotors, Resurfacing and the Law: How the Glad/Midas Lawsuit Will Change How You Sell Brakes

The consumer gets a break! Or is that a brake ?

ED

This sort of thing comes up about every 5 years. In another year or two the same crooks will be back doing the same thing. Whenever there is easy money to be made there will be people willing to make the easy money.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

"ED" wrote in news:hl77qh$6bm$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Another case of where the US is behind other countries in regulation. Misleading advertising has been illegal for at least 30 years in Canada for one.

Reply to
fred

Its funny, last fall there was a chain store here with a commercial showing a supposed cigar smoking grease monkey mechanic. the commercial implied this smirking mechanic would rip you off, then the chain advertised there lowest per axle prices. of course, this was minimal service and the commercial did not say additional fees may be needed if more parts or services are needed.

I have not seen this commercial recently, but if they start it again. i think i will send the link from CA to the local authorities...

bob

Reply to
bob urz

Deceptive trade practices are not legal here in Texas, and we have one of the strongest laws in the USA defining what is deceptive and illegal . There is however little or no enforcement unless the victim comes forward with a complaint.

Laws, like guns, have great potential power but dont function without human input.

Reply to
hls

But here in the US, our economy is built almost entirely on misleading advertising! Eliminating it would be certain death.

--scott

I have noticed, though, that the people in beer ads don't look very much like the people I know who drink a lot of beer.

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

And most of the crap they call 'beer' is nowhere near the real thing...

Reply to
M.M.

"M.M." wrote in news:u_Vdn.94719$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe11.iad:

A somewhat humerous (and annoying point) I've recently discovered. Back in the 70's we had 3 or four beer companies in Canada - all Canadian owned and operated. We had one beer that came out in the 80's that was 8.5%/vol. That's 16 proof down south. In the intervening years one company bought another, then later each one of those three were all bought by foreign companies, so we now have a beer store that only sells beer from those three companies (and a liquor store run by the province) and the alcohol content of the beers has gone down. I swear to god. Export was fixed at

5.0% for decades, now it's 4.9%. Brador was 6.5, now it's 6.

The simplest way to see if a beer is well made is it's alcohol content. It's far harder to make high alcohol beer than low. I *once* had a beer that was around 28 proof made at the local university.

Reply to
fred

snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote in news:hl8so5$bv1$ snipped-for-privacy@panix2.panix.com:

For who? con artists?

You go to the wrong bars then . They don't actually *say* anything that's a lie, which of course *is* the point we're talking about.

Reply to
fred

"hls" wrote in news:5NGdnXaz98OPa-rWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Not much point in have a law if no one enforces it.

Reply to
fred

The courts enforce it vigorously IF you bring a complaint. So there IS a point in having the law.

Think how impossibly complex it would be to have policemen out trying to find and enforce crooked business deals. They would do nothing but set up sting operations. They waste too much time and money on that now, with their prostitution activism.

Reply to
hls

In message , fred writes

Then it's not straight beer, it's either been distilled or had alcohol added, yeast dies off when the alcohol content rises above 5 to 6 % by volume.

Reply to
Clive

Clive wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@yewbank.demon.co.uk:

Nonsence. It's more like 18%. Guiness is 12.5% by volume.

Reply to
fred

"hls" wrote in news:VpWdneT398PN-uXWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

You make a complaint to the govt. They bring charges. If it doesn't happen, why is there a law?

Reply to
fred

Depends on the yeast. Typical beer yeasts die off around 5%... but you can make a beer with a champagne yeast that runs around 12% easily.

There are some "turbo yeasts" that are intended for industrial alcohol production that will get up into the 18% range but they produce large amounts of really nasty byproducts. Which is fine if you're going to run the product on a distillation column afterward anyway. Not so good for beer.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

In message , fred writes

Guinness is my tipple and is brewed in Dublin Ireland. It's content as stated on the can, or bottle is 4.1%. I made home brew for long enough to know what yeast will stand, and as your urine is toxic to you, alcohol is toxic to yeast, I stand by my assertion of 5 to 6%.Any higher and it's been distilled or has been fortified with ethanol as has sherry or port.

Reply to
Clive

Clive wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@yewbank.demon.co.uk:

Then you're not getting the real stuff. It's stout. Even pilsner has a higher alcohol content than 4%. Bock or honey mead can approach 10%.

That's the biggest nonsence I'd heard in years. Go to a liquor store sometime and check out the alcohol content of the wines there. Are you suggesting *they* are all products of distillation too?

Reply to
fred

That was the point. The "injured" individual usually brings the complaint.

Reply to
hls

In message , fred writes

Mead like wine requires a different type of yeast that can work in more toxic environments, than the yeast used to make beer. Pilsner is just German beer, here we would call it lager, again most makes are 5%, it's true that you can by Carlsberg Special brew at 9%, but it isn't Pilsner nor is it mead and the cans and bottles don't tell you whether the product is fortified or not.

Reply to
Clive

There was recently a big flap in Dallas because the computers in the police cars are programmed to list all violations that can be cited when they make a traffic stop. The problem was they were misprogrammed & popping up with a possible "non-english speaking driver" violation for all traffic stops with drivers who didn't speak English.

It is actually a law but only applies to commercial vehicles. Big embarrassment, but does illustrate what can happen when a concerted attempt is made to enforce ALL the laws.

Then, of course, there has always been the fun of selectively enforcing mutually contradictory laws...

Reply to
E. Meyer