Rust looking spots on new truck

I have a 2002 Chevy TrailBlazer and when I got it there were these little orange spots all over it. The dealer said it was rust spots from the trailer that it was delivered on. They buffed it out somehow and all looked good. Well now these same spots are all over the truck. Tried bug and tar remover but without a heck of a lot of elbow greese (contrary to the instructions to rub lightly), it is not coming off. And considering how it's everywhere, this would take a week to try and remove. Any ideas on what these spots are and how to get them off without ruining the finish? Thanks.

JR

Reply to
John

Approximately 10/11/03 15:28, John uttered for posterity:

Take it to a local paint shop or detailer. Not that a dealer would ever lie to you, but their story sounds pretty bogus. A paint shop would be best, as they may be able to tell you what is wrong enough to shove it up the dealer's nose under warranty.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Reply to
David J and Lynne J Shepherd

From a GM service manual:

Rail dust damage comes from the tiny iron particles produced from the friction between the train wheels and the track. It can also be deposited on vehicles if stored near any operation producing iron dust, i.e., steel ore yards. This dust can either lay on top of, or embed into the paint surface. It is usually diagnosed as bumps in the paint surface or rust colored spots in the paint.

Move the vehicle to a cool shaded area and ensure the vehicle surfaces are cool during the removal process. Thoroughly wash the repair area with Liquid Wash and Wax GM P/N 1052870 or the equivalent. Wipe the area dry. Clean the affected area with silicone, wax and grease remover. Perform the removal process according to the manufacturer's directions of the type of repair material used, Gel Type Oxalic Acid or Clay Type Non-Acid Based. If, upon inspection, some particles are still present, the process may be repeated. If the damage has been repaired, complete the repair to the entire panel. Polish the entire panel after the removal process. Refer to Clearcoat Repair Specifications - 3M Products or to Clearcoat Repair Specifications - Meguiar Products . If small pits remain in the clearcoat after all of the damage has been repaired, refer to Clearcoat Repair w/o Repainting .

Reply to
Robert Hancock

I've always wondered why a lot of cars transported by rail still have plastic sheeting on many of the body panels.

Reply to
Guy Noir - private eye

yep and a clay bar does wonders.

Reply to
Punch

Thanks everyone for your input. I now have a better understanding of what I'm dealing with here.

One more question. I had this problem when I bought the car new and not knowing at the time what it was, asked them to remove it where I noticed the problem. Whether I missed some of it or not, two years later the car is laddened everywhere with the rail dust spots. Any advice on how to approach the dealer on getting this warranty fixed? Or if I should approach them at all.

As a side note, I was told by a body shop this would take between 18 to 24 hours total work time to remove and cost about $600.

Thanks.

JR

Reply to
John