Wax on a new truck

Should you wax a new truck right away (Tundra DC) ???

:-))

Reply to
Freewheelin'

Rocco

Nonsense. With modern painting, there's no need to wait for a fictional "curing" period.

Wax away.

------------------------------------------------- "Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases. If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it." - Ronald Reagan

Reply to
Eric Dreher

not true,

some water based paint systems still need time to cure. general rule of thumb is not to wax for 2 months after the build date on the vehicle. you can get more info from DuPont or PPG paint systems.

Reply to
Kryptoknight

Unless you have to have the very best shine for something like a competition, I would recommend foregoing the wax. For everyday use, real wax is a wait of time & effort because is not very durable. It looks great temporarily then quickly succumbs to the environment, giving the user a false sense of protection. I've been using a Teflon based paint protection system for the last year. My car looks as good as the day of application. All I do is wash the car and the water beads as if I just "waxed" it. This stuff may not be for everyone, but if you dont want to wax your car every other month, its something you may wish to consider. The inventor even has a US patent on it. Hope this helps!

Reply to
Fogerty Family

-- "There are three truths: the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth." John Allen Muhammad

Reply to
bill g

Ok, Feeling a little dumb right about now. Sorry about that. You can find it at

application.

Reply to
Fogerty Family

You know, K, I can scarcely remember coming across a bigger collection of misinformation than what resides between your ears.

Modern painting needs no such waiting period. But then, I tend to listen to experts who know about such things, rather than the urban legends that seem to be rattling around in that skull of yours.

------------------------------------------------- "Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases. If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it." - Ronald Reagan

Reply to
Eric Dreher

Snake oil.

To be effective as a coating, Teflon needs to be applied at several hundred degrees. I've yet to see anyone use high temperatures to apply Teflon to their paint.

As such, it's just about as effective on your car's finish as it is when contained in Slick 50 as an oil additive.

------------------------------------------------- "Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases. If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it." - Ronald Reagan

Reply to
Eric Dreher

Would that be synthetic snake oil by any chance??? :>))

Tom - Vista, CA

Reply to
TOM

From PPG:

In the first 90 days: It is recommended that you not wax or polish the vehicle. This will allow the finish to completely dry and cure. (When you are ready to wax, do not use silicone containing or super polymer containing waxes or polishes) Today's finishes do not need such extreme protection and if your vehicle were involved in an accident, the removal of such waxes would be time consuming and expensive."

From Dupont:

Waxing and buffing are good preventive medicine for your vehicle. Not only does it help the paint shine, but it serves as a water and dirt repellent. Ask your body shop to recommend a quality wax. Be sure to follow manufacturers' instructions. Wait 90 days before applying wax to newly finished surfaces.

Tom - Vista, CA

Reply to
TOM

Back in the "Earl Scheib days", it was recommended that you wait for six months. Some even said to wait for a year!

With modern paint curing chemicals, this has been reduced to 30 days.

A top-notch local body shop recommends one month for a coat of wax. Longer if you use a cleaning wax.

Now, assuming the ninety day figure is correct, just how long does the average vehicle take to be sold AFTER being painted?

More than likely, it's been at least one to three months before being driven home.

Hence, wax away after you give her the first good bath.

------------------------------------------------- "Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases. If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it." - Ronald Reagan

Reply to
Eric Dreher

Is there any other kind? ;-)

------------------------------------------------- "Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases. If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it." - Ronald Reagan

Reply to
Eric Dreher

I suppose everyone is entilted to an opinion.

It seems to me this stuff really works. Nothing sticks to my vehicle. Tar spatters wipe right off, however sun baked bugs take a little more effort. All I use is a neutral ph soap and a microfiber cloth. I haven't had to use a bug & tar remover since I applied this stuff. The rain still beads as it did when I first applied it in May.

Granted the sh>

Reply to
Fogerty Family

That may be. But I'd wager the reason for that has nothing to do with the Teflon. Maybe the product has a good base wax ingredient.

------------------------------------------------- "Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases. If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it." - Ronald Reagan

Reply to
Eric Dreher

I cant comment on 5 StarShine's ingredients because I'm not a chemist. I'm simply a consumer describing what seems to be a good product. I've used various waxes in the past. From what I can tell, this stuff holds up better than any other product I've ever used. - Mothers, Meguires, Pinnacle, AutoGlym, Klasse etc... the list goes on and on. Wax just doesn't have the longevity or durability. The only thing wax has going for it is a great shine. It just doesn't last.

However, there are two products I've never used that people recommend in various forums. They are called Zaino and Glare. Alot of people rave about them. I've never had any first hand experience.

Any thoughts?

Reply to
Fogerty Family

Sounds like my 4Runner with the Zaino. Nothing sticks and it lasts.

I've never tried to rub a snake on my rig......maybe I wasn't squeezing hard enough to get the oil out of it. If you like it, use it!

Reply to
SS

Personally I don't care for any product that has any kind of cleaning compound that isn't chemical. Most car polishes contain a certain amount of abrasives, and due to this are not safe for clear coats.

I'm a Klasse fan. It seems to hold up better than any other product I've used, including those you've mentioned above. And the way it removes old wax and contaminants is not to be beaten.

As far as StarShine, I have no experience with it other than being told by a chemist that all Teflon products are gimmicks. The stuff really doesn't do a thing at low temps. So if you're happy with the stuff, that's great. But I'd still bet it just has a good list of base ingredients that work well with your paint and your application procedures.

------------------------------------------------- "Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases. If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it." - Ronald Reagan

Reply to
Eric Dreher

sorry, Eric, you are sadly mistaken about waxing new paint. the paint needs to cure completely, which takes time. if you lock the surface with wax, the evaporants cannot escape and the paint will cure in odd ways, or worse, react with the chemicals in the wax.

and if you read what i originally wrote, "...not to wax for 2 months after the build date on the vehicle.".

Reply to
Kryptoknight

How do you know you aren't getting a "cleaner-wax" when you buy cleaning supplies for your car's finish? I know some say they're safe for clear coat finishes (most if not all vehicles now days I assume), but are they really "safe"? I don't own a new car so this isn't really relavant to me at the moment, but may be, down the road.

Tom - Vista, CA

Reply to
TOM