SAAB in-line 4 head gasket question

Buddy has a 1999 Saab with in-line 4, OHC type engine. It's been diagnosed as leaking antifreeze from the head gasket. Quote is $2200 cnd (22 hours) to change. That includes cutting the head surface.

Questions: is there a reason to expect that the head "must" be cut without examining it off the engine to see? Engine is low miles - 65K miles.

Is 22 hour reasonable to re and re this head? Or does this include the machine shop time to rebuild the head? (I'm guessing that they wouldn't cut the head without taking it apart, at least I wouldn't

Does this thing have a chain/belt that should be replaced anyway, so that we could get two birds with one stone, so to speak?

Is this a known issue, or just random chance?

Thanks, guys.

Brian

Reply to
Brian
22 hours is way too much. 9 to 10 is more like it. there are two different 4 cyl engines. a 2.3L and a 2.0L. Cutting the head is a precaution and is always fugured in the price when I quote a head gasket. If it does not need it, then it does not get it and does not pay for it.
Reply to
jfrancis311