2000 VW Passat problems

Any idea what is wrong with my car:

Check engine light is on. Very low idle when first start the car. Brakes don't work well when I put car in reverse (when first started) Bad hesitations Sulfur-y smell Terrible gas mileage When I really try to give it gas, feels like it skips a gear...

Tim S.

Reply to
sultimo

sounds like you have a vacuum leak. Possibly the air intake boot.

Reply to
jfrancis311

A very bad vac leak would give all those symptoms. The ecu tells the engine to dump in more fuel to compensate. The cat has probably been destroyed. Excess fuel may cause premature cylinder and bearing wear as well.

Reply to
« Paul »

the VW place said that my secondary air pump was shot (filled with water)

Reply to
sultimo

what size engine, the v6 i believe has a tech. bulletin for the cat. its a reflash of the computer.

Reply to
larry d