Filtering gas

I work at an automotive junkyard. We drain the gas from the tanks of the cars into 55 gallon drums, which are then put into 300 gallon tanks. We use this gas to fuel our yard cars for the guys to drive about the yard ( 15 acres ) to pull parts. They normally drain off any water that settles to the bottom, dispense the gas into 5 gallon cans, let it settle, and pour the "good" gas into their cars.With the price of gas, I would like to try running this gas in my street daily driver. I drive older, carbed vehicles, so I'm not dealing with injectors and such, but I also don't want to plug up my carb. Any ideas on the best way to "pre-filter" the gas before I pour it in my car's tank? I already run several inline filters on my vehicles, but I want the gas to be clean before it goes in the tank. What would work best to strain/filter the gas? Thanks for any ideas, Earl

Reply to
big e lewis

How about one of those permanent type of stainless steel mesh coffee filters? I have used the paper coffee filters to strain gas, but they wear out fast.

Mike

Mike Romain

Paint strainer in a funnel?

nate

Mike Roma> How about one of those permanent type of stainless steel mesh coffee

Reply to
N8N

I would install the biggest inline filter possible under the hood with easy access. I would carry extras and change it regularly. Strain it good with a fine wire mesh before it goes in the tank. If you can find the kind that goes in the spout of a gas can that will save you a mess.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Been there, done that. We used to use several layers of panty hose.

Reply to
« Paul »

Boats often use a spin on filter that looks like an oil filter. Changes in seconds and is designed to also catch water.

Reply to
bob

Where did you get the panty hose?

Reply to
Dave in Columbus

Hi Earl

Basically the hard work has already been done before you pump it in your tank. Holding this fuel in large tanks to settle it out will remove most of any nasty stuff. Water will settle to the bottom and clean fuel to the top. Any other nasties should settle to the bottom as well. Heck, I'll run it in my truck with fuel injection in a minute. Keep those fuel filters up to date and I think you will be fine.

Reply to
ferretkona

I know people who use chamais for filtering fuel (most of the people I know filtering fuel are filtering alcohol for their race cars, but these should work for gasoline also). Others just use plain cloth like cotton. I wouldn't use a synthetic cloth like nylon, rayon, or dacron, however.

Reply to
Don Stauffer