Salvaged 94 Mazda Protege

Hello,

My 1994 Mazda Protege was murdered by tow trucks (yes that is plural) last winter in an awful ice storm. Although it was deemed a total loss by the insurance company, I could get it back on the road if I wanted to (and had about $1500). Anyway, I decided not to scrap the car, and kept it in the yard in the hope that I could sell it for parts after awhile.

Well, "after awhile" has come, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to make some money off this defunct beast. The engine is in great shape (180k or so), the transmission is fine, there are several new suspension components, etc. But I have no clue how I would go about selling this car for parts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

Reply to
Matt F

Mostly what I see are people who post in the correct newsgroups or even in classified ads that they are parting out a given car. Some basic info is given such as year,model,color,engine, general location of car and contact info.

I suppose then its a bit finding out what bits are good and haggling on price.

Reply to
Brent P

If you do the labor yourself you will make by far the most money. The rent-all places rent engine hoists that fit in a car trunk in pieces by the half day so you can have it all ready to go and pull it fast.

Good used parts sell for 25 - 40% of new around here at the wreckers normally with a warranty of some sort. They mark their parts before they go out the door.

You can advertise parts as 'pick your own', so the buyer has to do the labor, but that radically drops your selling prices....

Local paper is a good place or if there are any papers like the 'auto trader' or bargain finder', adds in those do well.

Finding a newsgroup for that vehicle and asking if it is ok to post a private 'Parts for sale' can work well too.

Mike

Matt F wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

For the smaller items, you can always go the eBay route.

Reply to
Ignasi Palou-Rivera

Just watch out for the pervs.

Reply to
Mark Olson

Yeah, unfortunately there is no Mazda newsgroup on this particular server. Perhaps my home server has it. Tough to believe one does not exist.

Thanks for the insight, Mike.

Matt

Reply to
Matt F

that's actually quite high. I talked to someone in a shop that sells rebuilt engines and they don't rebuild any with more than 40 k km on them, too risky. they buy low milage cars from insurance co's. I may be wrong but I don't think there'd be much value in yours as an engine or engine parts. you could call an auto wrecker and ask what milage they cut off at for parting out engines.

--

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's free community network homepage:

William R. Watt

Thanks. At any rate, there are definitely some newer parts (rotors, axles, etc...) that I might get some dough for. I just found a Mazda NG so we'll see how that pans out.

M.

Reply to
Matt F.

even at 180k someone may buy the engine, especially if it's running. It's probably useful for somebody. Either to rebuild while they still drive their car, or a quick swap to sqeeze a little more life out of a car, whatever. Will it get top dollar? Not likely, but someone may be interested in it looking to save a buck. Just be truthful and there's no reason for anyone to be unhappy.

Reply to
Brent P