Saving clutch by leaving it in 1st and not fully stopping?

I can almost come to a complete stop at signs by doing this. If there is no other traffic, it's very temping to do. I touch the brake, the motor lags below idle for a split second, but then I can go without actually taking it out of 1st gear. Seems to me this would help save the clutch. Other than the fact I'm not making a full stop for the cops, which they'd have to be watching really close for, would that slight dip in idle speed be a concern to the engine or otherwise? Or other thoughts on this?

thanks in advance.

Reply to
someone

It's not good to lug an engine at low rpm.

Mike

some>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Besides lugging and risking a stall, you are correct in observing that this risks a ticket for a "California stop". A cracked bearing, which is a very real possibility from repeated lugging, is a lot more expensive than the incremental wear on the clutch is.

Reply to
Christopher Green