Scratching noise when turn steering wheel while driving

I'm driving a 2001 Ford Focus LX. It was good until recently. While driving for a speed over 15 mph, when I turn the steering wheel a bit right, I can hear a slight scraching noise.

Since the car just had 36500 miles, it's out of its bumper-to-bumper warranty :-(( I'm not sure if this is serious problem, e.g., CV joint or sth ? Does anyone had similar experience? This noise is really driving me nuts. Just want to have some more info. before hand it over to dealer for diagnose...

Reply to
George Wang

It seems TSB# 03-15-3 would apply to you here:

-Tim

Reply to
Tim H.

George, I might be TSB 03-20-2 (Superseded 03-15-3). But, TSB 03-20-2 exhibits creaking, cruching, grinding and/or rattling noise, while going over speed bumps at slow speeds or while turning.

These symptoms should have exhibited themselves long before 36.6k miles (unless you always travel with your Noise Dampener on...Radio at high volume :-) )

I don't think it is your CV, but check you CV Boot for holes and cracks, also check the area around it for "FLUNG" grease. CV's tend to make a very distinct clicking sound.

I agree with Paul, If you can't duplicate the noise going straight over speed bumps, and if it doesn't seem to meet the TSB 03-20-2 symptoms, pull off your front tires and check "BOTH" brake pads. The inside one especially. The outside could look just fine and the inside one can be down "metal on metal". Something is wrong with the way Ford Put these parts together and they are not owning up to it.

-- Dan

2003 ZX5 2.0L 23.3k miles "Those who forget history are condemned to repeat it" - George Santyana
Reply to
Dan

Thank you guys for your valuable information. I also noticed that there is some clicking noise when I make big turn (turn steering wheel for more than 360 degrees) to either direction, does that sound like a CV issue?

BTW, another question about the TSB: what's the difference between TSB item and recall? Does it have something to do with warranty?

Thanks.

Reply to
George Wang

That sounds a little like a CV joint. The scratching might be a wheel bearing but that's usually described as a growl that increases in noise level with increasing speed.

A TSB is a note the car manufacturer sends to their dealers about a variety of things... from maintenance changes, updated procedures, to fixes for common problems, etc. They are not generally recalls, but if you still are under warranty the underlying symptom might be covered.

Reply to
Bob Hetzel