Wheel Noise

Car Specs: 2001 SC1

I was driving earlier today, around 75-80 mph, and heard a loud grinding/squealing noise from the front driver side of the car. The noise stayed the same, even during breaking. I changed gears (std. tran. 5th to

4th) and no change in noise. The only change was when I made a slight left turn on and exit ramp, when the noise lowered in pitch and more faint. I have yet to hear this again. What might this be? I was thinking CV joint, but only have
Reply to
uknewwho

What broke? That's probably what was making the noise.

steve

what

Reply to
Steve Barker

Nothing is visibly broken, ie there is nothing hanging down or anything like that. This is not a constent sound either, just started for about 10 minutes or so, then stoped, when I made the turn.

Reply to
uknewwho

Bearings?

Reply to
Niles Standish

I just went thru something similar to what you are mentioning. On yours it could be the brake pad sensor that starts touching the disc when the pads are getting a little thin. That is the easiest item to start checking. Then again, it could be the mystery noise that I have been experiencing the past two winters. The noise you describe came and went on my SL under sub freezing temps when the road was slushy with ice. snow, salt sand mix. You can check my past post of a couple of weeks ago for more info on what I did. Bottom line was; I changed the front wheel bearing, which was probably unnecessary(passenger side). I would say that once a wheel bearing starts going out, the noise will not go away and will get worse. After changing the bearing, still with sub freezing temps, the noise was still there, on the passenger side only. By then, I had put so much time into this thing, freezing my arse off that I said to hell with it and waited on something to fail. Since then, we have had warmer temps here in NH and the noise has gone away and not reappeared. The noise seemed to go away immediately after the temps rose. If you find out any specific problem with yours please post and maybe you can be the one to solve the mystery. Good luck, MR

Reply to
MR
  1. disc brakes, there is a goopy compound that you put behind your brake pads to prevent squeeling. the consistancy of toothepaste.
2.. jack the front of the car up and wiggle the wheels by holding from the tire with your hands. re-pack and tighten the wheel bearings with grease and new cotter pins, never tighten wheel bearing nut more than finger tight, use channel lock pliers only if you have to, no wrench of any kind. dig? test drive. 3. if the steering wheel has vibration, remove the wheel wieghts. 4. get some silicon spray lube and check your steering linkage, ball-joints, idler-arm, pitman-arm, tie-rod ends, everthing should move freely by hand with the front of the car up on jack stands 5. look for shiney spots where something might be rubbing.
  1. could be shock absorbers, remove and replace
  2. could be wrong size tires or out of balance, something in the wheel cover like a broken wheel cover, maybe remove the wheel covers
8, dress all your belts with the silicon spray lube. maybe its the power steering belt slipping

B C

wrench of

steering

  1. > get some silicon spray lube and check your steering linkage,
  1. > look for shiney spots where something might be rubbing.

It isn't often I block anyone here, but today I'm making an exception.

Ken

Reply to
Napalm Heart

LOL Ken.......good way to deal with it!

Jamie

Reply to
BANDIT2941

exception.

I saw troll after reading 2 posts. The link makes me think a spam troll.

Ken

Reply to
Napalm Heart