D/S parking brake squeak.. Heats up real hot

Hi,

My truck is a 98 S10 ZR2. For a long while my parking brake pedal has been quite slow to rise up. For about the last year, when idling in drive, or especially when moving in reverse, I get a squeak, squeak, squeak noise. Perhaps once per wheel rotation. Once in a while well start from being parked or from a stoplight and not get the squeak, but that is rare. And, usually if that happens, the squeak will show after stopping the next time or after going slow around a sharp curve.

Tonight I drove a bit and it was really bad. I had my girlfriend drive it back and forth in a parking lot while I investigated. Passenger side rear disc brake protecting plate was cool... Drivers side plate was really hot. Then we drove home and I felt around. On the driver's side, the protecting plate for the rear disc was warm, and the area inside of that (I suppose where the back of the parking brake was) was hot to the touch. Like burning hot. I always figured something was getting hot, because once in a while I smelled a burning smell (But it was new as of this winter, and I though maybe it was the new ceramic brake pds I put on... BTW, the pad replacement has not changed the squeak at all). The passenger side areas were totally cool. So thats my problem.

How is the best way to solve this? Is there anything I should consider replacing because that area has gotten so hot, and perhaps damaged bearings, etc? I have driven it on the highway, etc. with this problem.

Thanks,

JMH

Reply to
JMH