Shock Absorber Stem Nut - Jeep Cherokee

There is an odd nut that came off one of the front shocks on my 1990 Jeep Cherokee. It comes out of the top of the shocks and through the top of the front wheel well. The manual calls it a "shock absorber stem nut". I need a replacement for it and the bushing it hold in place. I can't seem to find anything available online.

Are they the sort of things I can get at a local parts store, or do I need a new one from the dealer? Am I looking for the right thing, or does it go by another name?

(I I'll use a locktight nylon lock-nut on it next time, so I don't loose another one.)

Reply to
jpolaski

Been there, done that. I got a replacement from a local Jeep 4x4 shop. They only come with new shocks so when they replace, some shops are smart enough to save the old bushings just for 'new' customers like you. Hey if they have the obscure part, they get a customer right. Likely a repeat one.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build Photos:
Mike Romain

Thank you for the reply.

I see how it works... I have some new shocks coming in soon (4x Rancho

9000s) and I've rigged up a solution with fender washers and urethane bushings from the local home depot. So I think it'll hold me until I get the new shocks. The current shocks are shot, so I'm not going to be doing too much until I get new one in, any ways.

Jeff P.

Reply to
jpolaski

An old ''trick'' is to use two nuts, use two wrenches to jam the two nuts tightly together. cuhulin, the nut behind the wheel

Reply to
cuhulin

Hey, cuhulin, we've known for some time about your holdings in "nut stocks", but I happen to own a few "lock-washer stocks".:) You know--that thing that goes between 2* nuts (when you got room) and lock 'em together? Have a good weekend. sdlomi2.............* 2 nuts not referring to you and me!

Reply to
sdlomi2

I lost everything I had in bubble gum futures.I never had much luck in the stock market. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin