Dumb shock questions..

89 Cherokee (again...).

On the rear shocks, I'm confused which end to mount up. Does the short fat end go down while the metal shaft and red boot end attach at the top?

As you can see in the pics, the rear upper bushing attaches to the body via a shaft that passes thru the bushing. The ends of the shaft are flared to secure the shock to the body. The flared ends will not fit thru the supplied bushings, as best I can tell. I think if I put the bushing in the vice and squeeze I miiiiight be able to fit the shaft thru the bushing, but I am afraid I'll tear the inside of the bushing.

The FRONT shocks came packaged with a shaft and bushing that appear to be for the rear upper shock mounts. They have no place I can see on the front. The rear shocks were packaged with two bushings and two cylinders that fit inside the bushings. I assume these cylinders are for the bushing to ride on the bolt?

They also shipped me what appears to be a front shock mount conversion kit... To convert the front shock mounts from the stud type upper mount to the eye type (upper mount), however the front shocks I received are the stud type upper mount. The brackets are |_| Shaped with a hole in the center of the bottom, and a hole in the top center of each side. I'm only guessing what these are for at this point..

TIA for any help.

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Yep.

Moisten the bar pins and press them through on the vice. Use a large socket on one side (to receive the pin) and the vice jaws against the pin on the other side.

This is what the factory front shocks look like:

stud end goes through the top of the shock tower and secured by a nut from under the hood.Some people prefer converting to the regular bushing ends for a better choice of shocks using this adapter:
utilizes the same style of shock as the rear and you mount the bracket up through the shock tower.

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-Ltd

Thanks Bill and LTD!

The adapter in the picture is exactly what I have. I should be OK for the time being!

thanks again

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed