Help sought- shock absorber replacement

I'm attempting to replace the front shock absorbers on my '74 "regular" Beetle (torsion bar suspension). I'm having trouble lossening the nut at the top of the shock absorber. When I attempt to unscrew the nut, all that happens is that the shock absorber shaft rotates. The Haynes manual mentions holding the buffer stud with a thin 42mm wrench, but on my car there is no flat on the shaft or anything attached to it where a wrench can grip (not too mention that thin 42 mm wrenches are hard to find). I've tried clamping the shaft with vice grips, but as one would expect I can't get enough torque to loosent the nut before the vice grips slip. I'm soaking everything in Liquid Wrench overnight, but I'm not optimistic I'll be able to unscrew the nut. Does anyone have a solution to this problem? Is there any risk in simply hacksawing through the nut and stud at the top of the shock?

Also, the Haynes manual recommends unbolting the trailing arm before removing the shocks so that the arm does not receive excessive force from the torsion bar. Other manuals don't mention this. Is this a concern? I'm planning to jam a stack of 4 by 4 blocks under the steering knuckle when I remove the shock- will this be sufficient to prevent excessive force on the steering parts?

Thanks!

Garry

Reply to
Garry Tarr

No problem sawing thru the nut and then splitting the nut or saw thru the stud, as long as you're buying new complete shocks.

You will also likely have trouble getting the bottom end off. There is a steel bushing bonded to the rubber bushing (part of the shock). Often, the steel bushing rusts solidly to the stud in the trailing arm. Pry the shock off best you can, leaving the old steel bushing on the stud. Then use heat to expand it off or a sharp cold chisel to split the bushing down the seam. Sometimes a small pipe wrench will let you turn the bushing and walk it off.

I wouldn't worry about damaging the trailing arm or anything else.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Can you say Saw-alI, believe shaggie has one, you might want to barrow it befor he cuts to baja one of John Henry's splits.

Reply to
Kafertoys

Easiest way is a nut splitter. If you don't have one you should buy it, as it's a *very* handy thing to have when working on old cars. HTH, ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver