Sick 83 Drop-Top

I'm attempting to diagnose and fix a steering column on a 1983 Mustang GLX Conv. w/ tilt no delay. Once I got it apart I could see that the lock housing was broken in two halves. The extent of the damage I fear is more than I can fix. I'm not sure what needs to be replaced and what can be salvaged, besides the housing. After hours of searching, the parts that I think need to be replaced are near impossible to find. I'm pretty sure there is not an alternate column I can use besides an '83. So far I've tracked down a housing($35."Ford dealership") and a classic parts store near by said they could pull a column from somewhere.?($135.)Im really hoping on that column it is the only one I can find. If I'm going to fix the old column I have to find out how to get the "tilt, joint,bearing,swivel" thing off before I can think about putting the new housing on. I'm stuck over my head on what to do, this is my single mode of trans. and the car has already drained my savings in the six months that I've owned it. Please any! sugg. would help...

Reply to
lastchance 83