Smoking engine on 1963 Mercury Comet

I have juste bought a 1963 Comet and the motor recently started to smoke from a pipe on the front base of the motor when it is hot.What could cause this? Thanks

Reply to
Denis Lachance

pete selby

Does that mean that I need a motor overall? Or could it be the valves adjustement. Thanks

Reply to
Denis Lachance

If it runs OK and you can stand the smoke and oil consumption, it doesn't need to be rebuilt. Cars of that era would routinely run for years in that condition. Try driving it at night with someone's headlights behind you. Hit the gas and you will see one hugh scary cloud.

Reply to
WasteNotWantNot

I bet your oil stays dirty.The smoke from the draft tube is combustion gasses getting by the rings. I'd rebuild it. Don't mess with the valves. If they are as old as the rings, you can't help them by adjusting them. The question is . Do you care about this car? If so, do it right. If you don't, there is no quick fix By the way. It was common practice in its day, to do a ring job (without removing the motor ), lap the valves and send it on it's way.

Reply to
Akacguy6161

I do care for this car.Considering that I am french speaking do you mean that it could be sufficient to change the rings whithout taking the block out? And what do you mean by "lap the valves". Thanks.

Reply to
Denis Lachance

I find on older engines, they start to smoke a bit when hot if the oil is dirty.

Same for using oil. When I am down a quart of oil, I check my mileage and sure enough it is time for an oil change. If I don't change the oil, it starts using it at least twice as fast when dirty.

Having some smoke coming out of that down tube isn't unusual. Take any older engine and open the oil cap or pull out the PCV valve when it is hot. You will see some smoke coming out. This is totally normal.

That is the reason they put PCV valves in. People didn't like the smoke and oil drips that came out of that pipe. This was before the 'smog' police were around too.

There was always some smoke coming out of those pipes.

You can just get a cheap compression tester and run a quick dry/wet compression test on it. That will give you a good indication of the shape of the rings.

You pull the plugs out, hold the throttle open and check each cylinder. Next you put a tablespoon of oil in each cylinder and check the compression again. If it come up a bunch with the oil in it, the rings are worn.

Here in Canada, a rebuild on an old engine like that runs 12 - $1500.00.

Mike

Denis Lachance wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

"It depends." :)

on a SBC by the time your rings are worn out the block is probably worn too and it's time for an overbore and new pistons. On a MoPar or Studebaker the blocks are harder castings and new rings are probably perfectly acceptable (mike the bores to be sure.) On a Ford... I dunno. never worked on one.

"lapping the valves" refers to putting a little fine valve grinding compound on the seating surfaces of the valves and spinning them by hand a little bit to true up the seats. Gives a better seal although does not address other possible wear issues in the heads like valve guides or the valve stems themselves.

Before you start making purchases though, make sure you really have a problem as other posters have said. A little smoke out the road draft tube, especially when idling, is nothing to worry about - even a brand new engine will have some blowby, not much, but a little. If the rings sealed *perfectly* they'd never get lubed and your motor would wear out fairly quickly.

good luck

nate

Reply to
Nathan Nagel

As old as it is , (assuming its never been rebuilt)The seals are cracked and dry rotted.The gaskets are decomposing. If you are a do it yourselfer, pull the engine. The parts are still cheap. Is it a six? If so, the rebuild should be fun. Get a manual .This would be a good project to learn the basics if you are intrested.

Reply to
Akacguy6161