important TIRE PRESSURE dont do a JEFF

>>I can't find a number on the tire, except the maximum pressure, and >> there is no sticker on the door pillar, or anywhere else I can see... >> >> Michelin XSE P225/60R17 >> '04 Lincoln Towncar, pretty normal driving, no excess loads. >> >> So what's the consensus on tire inflation pressure? > >Maximum pressure. At that pressure, the car will be most fuel efficient and >tire wear will be minimized. > >Jeff

WRONG you risk OVER STEER BLOWOUTS and handling problems as well as changing the geometry of your alignment

lmfao max pressure is the max pressure that the tire can handle

ALWAYS follow the AUTO manufatures recommended pressure

anything other than that is DANGERIOUS

jeff get some certification PLEASE

u advice KILLS

canada has the best tecks

RED SEAL

hurc ast

hurc ast

Reply to
pickone

You're correct. I misread the post.

He should look in his glove comparment. Often, there is a sticker there. If not, there should be info in the owner's manual (you might be able to download it at

or buy one from your dealer.

jeff

Reply to
Jeff

The gopher sticks it's head up from the snow & vomit's some more inaccurate drivel: BUT !

Auto Manufacturers recommended pressure is always a compromise between ride, economy, handling, OEM tire dynamics and Safety. (Though Firestone and Ford may disagree on that issue).

Inflation levels are based upon requirements. Fast driving in hot climates require higher pressures than slow driving in cold climates. Off road conditions require (in some circumstances) even lower pressures. Add to that tire age, tire manufacturing specifications and driving style & you've got an idea of how dynamic the whole equation becomes.

IF economy is key, higher pressure, if Ride? Lower pressure, if handling specific to each tire & the road surface it's traveling on.

Manufacturers spec is a good starting point. Sidewall max is fine. Years ago when the older tires would flat spot over the winter we'd run them up to 60 PSI and run them for a few days (not idea but helped them last another season).

Like with anything else, what do you need the tire to do? what's it capable of? where are you going to use it? Based on that make your choice.

Also.. Are you inflating with a Pure Nitrogen or a 78% mix with Oxygen?

Reply to
Some ga

lmfao who designed the car ford or the tire guys ford picked tires capible of certain specs

and what pressure does teck use to set alignment

what a tard cars are built with UNDERSTEER in mind

hurc ast

btw next time you buy a van note DESINATION some are not designed to be ambulances ETC

why is that they are all f 450 lmfao

what is the diffrence ?????????

also why do schoolbusses police cars, ambulances use RECOMMENDED SPECS as per FORD ????????????

Reply to
barney rubble

Who designs the tires? We are talking about tires here right?

Did Ford 'OK' the pressure recommendations with Firestone before the Disastrous results? Ford tried to use Tire noise & under steer to accommodate a substandard chassis design.

The pressure the vehicle will be run at. Assuming that the "teck" or "tech" has enough of a clue to ask the operator. Alignment is designed to be able to be adjusted to accommodate a multitude of conditions. (including tire pressure). Some vehicles even allow for spring loading adjustments to really fine tune the suspension.

(read a book or two, you might learn something). Yes MANY conventional passenger vehicles are designed with Under steer in mind. Other vehicles are designed with a Neutral or even over steer profile depending upon the expected driver competence level. Under steer and over steer can be radically affected by tire pressure as well (hence the importance of answering the OP accurately, instead of blindly flailing at the keyboard. Also vehicular loading can affect vehicle dynamics, this can be mitigated with differentials in tire pressure.

Renault, Mercedes, GMC & Bedford make F450's? Could you provide me with your source. I've yet to see a F450 Bedford Ambulance. In fact I also believe that the Transit has never had the classification F450 Perhaps it's a prairie thing...............

what is the difference with "____________" Looks like you're starting a sentence here but...........

You're making a HUGE assumption there kid. Some municipal authorities may follow manufacturers "guidelines" Many don't. Maine & Nevada are likely to use differing pressures to adapt to their unique environments.

If you doubt my viewpoint (and it's quite likely you do). Ask a few rally teams what pressure they set their tires at, Then ask a few Indy teams, then ask a few Nascar teams.

Then call up Ford & ask them how they arrive at the recommended pressure guidelines. You might find the answer goes something like this: "it is a compromise designed to match ride/handling dynamics with the "average" driver" for our street vehicles.

NOTE: when you're making 1 million plus vehicles you design it for the "common" good, not the individual ideal. That's up to the driver.

In this case the OP wanted to know what was ideal for his situation, not what would be good for a crown Vic parked outside a grow-op in Mayerthorpe Alberta

See, we in the outside world do sometimes hear what people in Alberta do when they're not living in their parents basements surfing the NG"s or digging in the Tar fields.

Remember this; Jesus loves you, even though everyone else thinks you're an as shole

Reply to
Some ga

Seems those stickers are occasionally all over the place... look around all the door frames, inside the fuel filler door, and inside the glove compartment door.

Reply to
Erik

There is a caveate on using the door sticker. There are a lot of Explorers out there with 26 psi front and rear marked on the sticker. IIRC, updated pressure spec is 30 psi.... in the interest of reducing rolling resistance, the operating (cold) pressure can be raised.... I ran my Ex (a 92) at 35 psi for the entire time I had it with no drivability or handling concerns.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Yes... I check all four tire pressures before adjusting them..... some prefer softer tires for ride (look for underinfaltion wear).... some occasionally haul heavy loads and require hgher pressures (look for overinflation wear).... equalize the pressures side to side to avoid tire height induced changes and the alignment is good to go.

Making unilateral changes to a vehicles tire pressure for no other reason than "they don't match the sticker" can induce the wrath of the customer.

Reply to
Jim Warman

lmfao other manufatures ran the same tire at 26 psi

warman tell me why run 35 ?? was your vehicle aligned at 35 psi

lmfao

Reply to
3 dog nite

So if he's got P0's or if he's got Walmart specials or he's got NOS Bias Belted Redline's you're going to inflate all to "the sticker on the door's" recommendations?

That's using your noodle.

Reply to
Some ga